Reviews Review Of Juice "All Bets Off"

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
allbetsoff.jpg

"Alphabetically / We like "p" and "q" / I'm one step ahead / When comparing me to you"

Can I get a witness? From the intro to All Bets Off, Juice makes it clear that he's not a game to be played, and the ironic thing is he doesn't even say anything. The intro is a testament to the legend of Juice. In this case, the voices of others who have personally witnessed his skills and the destruction of rival MC's sing his praises. The most recognizable voice and a surprising one for some is that of Eminem. In an interview with Entertainment Tonight, Marshall himself tells how small he felt after

catching an "L" from "The best in the world"; as another witness puts it. What's given is a short glimpse into the legacy that is Juice. Determined to prove himself as more than a sick MC with an uncanny underground buzz, Juice is no longer rhyming for props or for free. You are about to witness the beginning of a promising career.

"First and foremost, it [the name Juice] symbolizes respect. It always has. Second, it symbolizes a warrior mentality that comes from being so deeply involved in the battle circuit." Few "Battle MC's" have found success amongst the mainstream listeners but, one is the biggest thing in popular music; so much for stigmas. Juice, hoping to continue the trend comes heavy with sick metaphors and punch lines as expected.

Right into the album Juice pledges his allegiance to his new home on "Conglomerate Music". The "King of Freestyle" has finally found a home at The Conglomerate, a label he co-founded after years of releasing 12 inches on practically every record label you've never heard of. Some say that struggle builds character, ironic as though struggle and adversity is something that MC's feed off of the most. But the trife life isn't something that Juice dwells on. Juice is just a dope lyricist with a gift for putting words together. Not just an MC, but a warrior with a story to tell, Juice stands on his own two without relying on more well known Chicago names to help sell his music.

"Weekend Girl", produced by Chicago O.G. No I.D. is something noticeably different from someone known more for tearing apart MC's than swooning females. It takes a few listens to get into the track, because you almost always expect an aggressive tone from someone held in the highest of regards in the battle circuit. Juice trades verses with his homie Profound about an assortment of females who serve their purpose on the off days of the week. As the track develops to the third verse it appears they've been sharing one woman in particular. But no love lost, it's a dog eat dog world, and these two are just playing the game; even finding humor in the similarities of their escapades with the girl.

Juice continues to establish himself as an artist. Using his wit and imagination to create and pull off songs like the impressive "Black". "Black" is an anthem for the black experience, and a celebration of all things dark. Accentuated by a simple vocal sample which guides the track, Juice positively recalls the origin of his pride remembering family members who once told him "You don't have to date black / And you don't have to marry it / But never ever hate black / Be proud of it and carry it." Beyond the lyrics of pride however, there is a tone of disdain. The black experience in America isn't the greatest one and Juice lashes out at negative terms, stereotypes, etc. starting with "Why they call it blackmail / Fuck I have to do with it?" Conglomerate in-house Producer 'Emmaculate' may not be completely flawless but he comes close to the name. Producing 9 of 14 songs on All Bets Off, including "Black".

Instead of skits, Juice hits with "Mic Check 1" and "Mic Check 2". Two grainy audio recordings of Juice going off the head. These impromptu freestyle sessions are only a small sample of what he is really capable of. Juice doesn't forget how he gained his following and gives them something to ease the transition from 60 second verses to full length songs. While neither track is really that long, after a few consecutive plays of the minute long flashbacks on repeat, listeners should be eager to jump back into the songs.

The last track, "Thanks for Having Me" plays like the last scene of your favorite movie. The one you watch over and over fully aware of the triumphant ending, in awe of the slick maneuvers in which it plays itself out.

By now, everybody in Illinois knows the name Juice but, Chicago's Hip-Hop history has taught us that it's often a long road to the top. Twista was in the game for a decade before he blew, Common despite his props often flew under the success radar and even Kanye rode D-Dot's coat tails for a few summers. Juice reps his city well, which in 2005 is beginning to resemble New York circa 1995. Opportunities are endless now that hip-hops focus is on the windy city. The next spot belongs to him indeed. But before Juice can actually shine, some still have to get over their past reservations. I mean be for real, he don't really be coming off the head do he?

READ THE REVIEWS ON AMAZON

members online