Reason vs Ableton

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well why are you thinking of switching to and what version do you have now?

Bot are amazing programs. And if reason didn't exist I would be all ableton. I personally like reasons sequencer a bit better, but I like how ableton chops samples better. I like all the cv routing and sound design you can do in reason but ableton has max4live and that's amazing. Of course ableton can use plugins etc. they are both very inspiring and creative daws. Why are you looking to switch? Are you missing a certain feature in one?

MitchHolmes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have been going to a studio where the guy uses Ableton. Seems cool to make beats with and mix at the same time. I have been using reason for years and I find the samples sound thin.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
Im using Ableton, maybe i could help you out with your questions...
I havent tried Reason yet, so I cant compare workflows and etc.
What do you mean the samples sound thin? is it the built in samples/instruments?
Maybe it has something to do with your monitors or headphones?

Ableton tho makes complicated things easier as far as ive been using it.
but changing daw's wouldnt make your sound any better.
I try layering more sounds and a good eq would always make a sound or sample more whole.

hope that helped. if you got more questions ask away, ill try to help as much as i can.
peace!

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yea if your samples sound thin then get better samples. Both reason and ableton can sound equally good. I personally prefer mixing in Reason hands down (only ver 6 and up when they added the SSL mixer) I would totally agree with Bugsy that Ableton makes complicated things easier, thats a great way to put it. Chopping samples is a breeze in Ableton, and that finally got better in Reason 7 but I still like how Ableton does it a bit better. I LOVE how Maschine does it :) I have more fun doing synth programming and layer ETC in reason. IDK if you already know one DAW I would say probably don't switch as you have to relearn. And if your only reason to change is a thin sound then I would say definitely dont switch as that is in no way the programs fault. But seriously get up to the current version, its not even the same program as Reason 5 in so many ways.

MitchHolmes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Any hooks up on reason 7 or the newest Ableton?

With ableton I can record vocals right with it and mix the whole thing, I cant wit this version of reason I have.

Why switch anything, just rewire reason into Ableton and have the best of both.
You must be able to rewire reason into ableton. Ive done it with Cubase and Protools.
Also guys, you cannot share pirated software on this website.
Fade ends up being the one that gets sued, so please dont be hitting each other up with software on illmuzik. Thanks.
Do it on future producers instead. lol.

members online