Reason Users Please Step in

P

PG13

Hi there I have a few Questions and Concerns when it comes to this program/Programs in general...

See Im a Co Producer for a Small Gospel Label plus i make Instrumentals on the Side for Local Artsit Friends and what not.. I use work with MPC's until one Day i walked into a Studio and had a Dispute with some 13 year old shit. Basically he was telling me he could do anything i do on my mpc with his Brothers $500.00 setup. I said iight deal this. If u show me up i'll give 5 beats if i show u up i Wan't i want ya kicks... So i give this kid my samples and i was blown away.. He re-created my instrumental Quality was bangin.. SO yes i coughed up 5 custom beats for him After that i Took notes .. I Sold my MPC...my Samplers and Spoke with my Producer about the Software world so he hook me up with over 20 gigs worth of appz plugins u name it...I use Reason 2.1 and Cubase Sx... Now here is my Problem. Whenever i make shit with Reason it don't sound butter to me.. I mean the Drums and bass sound nice but when i throw other Elements in like Strings...Piano etc it don't sound Smooth Why is this?

This what im working with in my LAb

Behringer 12 channel Mixer (routing and killing latency)....Delta 1010 Soundcard...Behringer B2 Dual Condneser Mic...Studio Projects B3 Condenser Mic...Roland DS50A Monitors...Custom Built PC AMD 1800xp 512 DDR Ram...Mic Stand..Pop Filter...Vocal Booth...Joe Meek VC6Q preamp...Fatar SL 161 Midi Controller...like i said over 20 gigs of Software ad Plugins.... Sample CD's up the ying yang......

I use Reason 2.1 and Cubase for Production. I don't understand how to get my Tracks from Reason into Cubase this way i can eq/compress what i need...People are telling me to Rewire.. I rewire but i dont see the tracks in Cubase i can only play them .. I mean I wanna understand this software shit but if i can't i gotta get another MPC 2000xl or 60 ima have to go hardware...I been Missing out on $$$ trying to figure this Software out can Someone Experienced plz help a nigga out?

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

You should have had your producer hook you up with the kid...

It tells you in the SX manual how to route audio from Reason into the Cubase mixer. Once in the mixer, you can add the Cubase inserts and sends to your Reason tracks.

If it's too much of a pain to do that, you could export each Reason track as an audio file, then import them into Cubase onto an audio track and route them through the mixer that way.

A better place to ask your questions is at Cubase.net, there are people who do this all the time.

http://forum.cubase.net/cgi-bin/cubase.net/Ultimate.cgi

And when you post, refrain from saying corny stuff like 'help a nigga out', no one there will be impressed.

Take care,

Nick

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
When you say you throw in "strings and piano", do you mean with samples, or with MIDI, like soundfonts or from a sound module? Do you mean that they sound "cold"?

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Wassup. I agree with Vitamin, you should check out www.Cubase.net, or www.propellerheads.se. They have a cool forum. People ask that all the time so just do a search and you'll find it.

As far as your rewire is concerned, it sounds like you can get rewire working but you cant see all the tracks. remember that you have to turn Reason around (Tab) and pull the wires from the mixer channels to the top interface to be able to view the tracks in Cubase. If not you'll only see the master output inside Cubase.

Why dont your strings and piano sounds smooth? I'm not sure what you mean. I know the Reason effects are weak. They're weak on purpose tho to save CPU power. But no ammount of effects is gonna help you get good sound if you dont know how to engineer. You should try to learn how different frequencies relate to each other and how to use compression correctly. Especially multi-band compression if you want to get your shit sounding full. Anywayz you should use whatever you're comfortable using, if you were using the MPC and makin tracks then why switch? Just keep makin tracks.

P

PG13

Originally posted by Some Guy
Wassup. I agree with Vitamin, you should check out www.Cubase.net, or www.propellerheads.se. They have a cool forum. People ask that all the time so just do a search and you'll find it.

As far as your rewire is concerned, it sounds like you can get rewire working but you cant see all the tracks. remember that you have to turn Reason around (Tab) and pull the wires from the mixer channels to the top interface to be able to view the tracks in Cubase. If not you'll only see the master output inside Cubase.

Why dont your strings and piano sounds smooth? I'm not sure what you mean. I know the Reason effects are weak. They're weak on purpose tho to save CPU power. But no ammount of effects is gonna help you get good sound if you dont know how to engineer. You should try to learn how different frequencies relate to each other and how to use compression correctly. Especially multi-band compression if you want to get your shit sounding full. Anywayz you should use whatever you're comfortable using, if you were using the MPC and makin tracks then why switch? Just keep makin tracks.

Ahh i see now thanks for the Rewire Tip.. Well in the Studio When i seen what this Young and others were doing with Software made me think.. i need all these Units and Boards there just taking up space in my lab.. Plus i mean $2000 + on Samplers and MPC and someone can do the same thing with only $350.00... I don't like Spending money that i don't have to if ya know what i mean.. Well the Piano and strings i mean they on Beat. The Rhytm is there it just doesn't blend well together thats all . thats what i mean about it not being smooth. I mean i really want to learn this Software seems like a great tool. But if i can't then i might have to get an Mpc 60 or something.. thats my last Resort.. thanks for all your help i will check out the Cubase Forums

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
PG13,

Check out this link:

https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=527

Software IS a great tool, it's cheap and it offers a lot more flexibility. However, if you already have the MPC and you're used to the way it works, you should at least keep it around until you decide that you want to keep it or completely move over to a coftware based system.

Take care,

Nick

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
reason has compression and reverb facilities,
i use reason aswell, i prefer dis n like dat kid i can create material dat sounds as good as peeps with mpc's n all dat
wat u gota avoid is usin reason sounds jus as they are, mess around with dem using a wav editor like cool edit.