Quick ways to chop a sample?

hollaatroy

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
What's the quickest way to chop a sample? My process seems to take about 4 or 5 steps and takes too long. Here's how I do it:
1. Open mp3 or wma file using Sound Forge
2. Cut and paste only the portion of the file I want into a new file
3. Save partial file as a WAV file
4. Open newly saved WAV file with Recycle
5. Chop WAV file
6. Save file as REX file
7. Launch Reason and load file into Dr. Rex

That takes waaaaay too long. Is there a quicker way? Is Recycle the best "chopping" program to use?

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
This is what I do
This is how I do

1. Record the sample to the MPC using either my turntables or ipod ( I record everything from my ipod to the mpc when I'm traveling. It's real convienient)

2. Chop it up using zoning feature

3. Send the samples to pads

4. Start banging it like ur bang'n a chick

I use recycle sometimes when I wanna transfer samples thats already chopped up to my mpc.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I take one, two or more sections from a song. Perhaps 5-10 seconds depending on what I want. Load the .wav into Fruity Slicer, chop it as I like. Done.

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Depends Wat U Want As An Outcome Fam Like On Perfect Loops That I Chopp I Do It On Beat On Some I Use Sond Forge It All Depends On Ya Samples

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Vince said:
I take one, two or more sections from a song. Perhaps 5-10 seconds depending on what I want. Load the .wav into Fruity Slicer, chop it as I like. Done.

word... i just chop a some bars out a song, put in fruity slicer and we in buisness

C

Carpe Diem

I open up the track to sample in Sound Forge, and chop it to fuck, usually have 20-30 cuts... Open all these in an NN-XT and assign each one to a key on the board... Piece together like a jigsaw...

ill o.g.
I open the sample as a single track in ACID and start searching for cuts I like...generally as I'm going along I move cuts into different places to see if I can get a fresh loop going. As the loop gets more and more complex I start layering the sample into additional tracks using pans, etc. If I'm really having trouble I'll loop different 1bar cuts of the song to see if anything fits.

I like this method 'cause I can start rearranging chops immediately. I tried saving each chop to a separate .wav and creating different patterns on my MIDI controllers but ultimately that takes too much time on a PC and kills my natural creative process.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
what I do is load the song in Cool Edit(adobe audition) and start highlighting loop points and save the chopped loops to my FL 6 SOUNDFONT file so when I open up FL 6 the samples I need to use are right there in my SOUNDFONT file. Cool Edit ables me to chop the sample precisely and it only takes me about 5 min to chop a whole song up. FL Slicer chops samples but it doesn't catch the right loop points all the time. But take your time chopping samples because getting your "chops" to loop properly is the key.

members online