Quick tip if you want to ever work with a record label.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I think most of you know here that I got a very small record deal with a small label but things are going great. Here a quick tip.

I am learning that a label will want EVERYTHING. Have instrumental versions of all your songs not just vocals. If you get something mastered get a second instrumental version mastered at the same time. Keep all your project files organized. There are so many opportunities a label will pursue and they will want your songs in many different formats. It helps if you can provide them quickly. So stay organized and ready.

PS they also want to put out ALL my albums in China since I never released there and they need new versions of everything. So keep EVERYTHING!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I think most of you know here that I got a very small record deal with a small label but things are going great. Here a quick tip.

I am learning that a label will want EVERYTHING. Have instrumental versions of all your songs not just vocals. If you get something mastered get a second instrumental version mastered at the same time. Keep all your project files organized. There are so many opportunities a label will pursue and they will want your songs in many different formats. It helps if you can provide them quickly. So stay organized and ready.
Good tips. I was thinking for a second this would be a rant about money or something lol.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Your @thedreampolice experience(s) are proof that there is still a such thing as positive success stories in the music business as I wish those were in abundance.

Dude some of the songs they are working on are 20 years old. Also a lot of the plugins I used back in the day I didn't have any more. There is always little tings that get you.
yeah the old plugin one is a pain in the arse, gets me all the time. Was good in the old reason days, could self contain everything.

To track everything out as wav just ends up taking up a hell of a lot of space when archiving. Got to just keep getting bigger and better hard drives to fit it all on, never mind all the vsts themselves, some are fucking massive.

Im always losing certain samples(always my gunshots and explosion sounds) and can never find them when I want them. You would think Id have done something about it, but I cant be arsed to dig a load more to replace them.

Ive only just got this laptop and the internal is getting pretty full, thats just vsts, all my source files are on 2 externals, copies of each other. Going to have to get myself a couple more soon I think. The big drives are getting fairly reasonably priced now. A couple 4 - 8TB will be next for me I think. Back in the reason days a .rns file would be around the size of an average mp3. Im finding my hard disks are filling up fast with vsts and fl studio if I want to at least keep my source files.

But your point is a very good one, you never know when somebody might want you to tweak a little something here and there for them to want it. I never really consider anything ever finished until its released, and even then I might want to go back to it after everything Ive learned between making it and now to try and just make it even better.

Last edited:
Battle Points: 153
yeah the old plugin one is a pain in the arse, gets me all the time. Was good in the old reason days, could self contain everything.

To track everything out as wav just ends up taking up a hell of a lot of space when archiving. Got to just keep getting bigger and better hard drives to fit it all on, never mind all the vsts themselves, some are fucking massive.

Im always losing certain samples(always my gunshots and explosion sounds) and can never find them when I want them. You would think Id have done something about it, but I cant be arsed to dig a load more to replace them.

Ive only just got this laptop and the internal is getting pretty full, thats just vsts, all my source files are on 2 externals, copies of each other. Going to have to get myself a couple more soon I think. The big drives are getting fairly reasonably priced now. A couple 4 - 8TB will be next for me I think. Back in the reason days a .rns file would be around the size of an average mp3. Im finding my hard disks are filling up fast with vsts and fl studio if I want to at least keep my source files.

But your point is a very good one, you never know when somebody might want you to tweak a little something here and there for them to want it. I never really consider anything ever finished until its released, and even then I might want to go back to it after everything Ive learned between making it and now to try and just make it even better.

I feel ya on this one...

Im 30 gyg away from my maximum storage space on my internal HDD (macbook pro) SSD 500 gyg.

Got 2 seperate Harddrives for storage, but the pain is mac wont let me install 9/10 programs on external drives, and working with Omnisphere and Kontakt, the loading times takes so long if you have those banks stored seperatly on other drives. (Due to conversion to USB 2) So thats a nono at this point.

Gonna need a new macbook somewhere in future with USB-C ports and hella harddisk space >.< That way the external drives (SSD) can drive the same processing speed as the main computer.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Your @LiveLargeBeats dilemma is why I'm sticking to MPC 2 software and not buying anything else. How you like Kontakt?

I feel ya on this one...

Im 30 gyg away from my maximum storage space on my internal HDD (macbook pro) SSD 500 gyg.

Got 2 seperate Harddrives for storage, but the pain is mac wont let me install 9/10 programs on external drives, and working with Omnisphere and Kontakt, the loading times takes so long if you have those banks stored seperatly on other drives. (Due to conversion to USB 2) So thats a nono at this point.

Gonna need a new macbook somewhere in future with USB-C ports and hella harddisk space >.< That way the external drives (SSD) can drive the same processing speed as the main computer.
I have a 1tb internal ssd on my laptop, I have 93.9 GB left

Battle Points: 153
Your @LiveLargeBeats dilemma is why I'm sticking to MPC 2 software and not buying anything else. How you like Kontakt?

I cant imagine that being enough tho? Can you get out all the sounds you disire?

Kontakt is really really great for certain banks, especially the Orchestral ones, you'd have to do a little digging to find out which ones are great to have in your collection.
There is also ALOT of garbage out there, and not worth any buck imo.

I have a 1tb internal ssd on my laptop, I have 93.9 GB left

The struggle is real lol. you have Usb-c tho?

I cant imagine that being enough tho? Can you get out all the sounds you disire?

Kontakt is really really great for certain banks, especially the Orchestral ones, you'd have to do a little digging to find out which ones are great to have in your collection.
There is also ALOT of garbage out there, and not worth any buck imo.

The struggle is real lol. you have Usb-c tho?
Yep, havent bought a type c hub for it yet though the 3 usb standard ports and my usb hub has been enough so far.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
It's @LiveLargeBeats enough for me 'cause I been procrastinating too long re: learning to produce and put me on to some Kontakt instruments worth owning and tell me what garbage to avoid as I don't like wasting money.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Iron Keys can say I don't find making music a waste of time.

members online