Quality vs Quantity

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
So, I wanted to present this to spark some healthy discussion:

Given the times that we are living in now with being able to be independent and release things how we see fit to various DSP's as well as physical copies, I have a question for you all:

How do you feel about putting things out just to put them out so people know you vs taking your time and making sure its a product that you want to market and sell? There are obvious answers to either side of the coin, however; what is your boundary with just dropping whatever, regardless of the mix/production/etc for the sake of people of people hearing you as opposed to taking more time to release what you feel is quality work? Do you feel that you contribute to the watered down mass that undercuts quality music by just releasing anything, or do you feel in this sea of mediocrity that whatever you put out can stand up to the rest and possibly pave a way for others? Or, do you feel that if you do take more time for your releases, that somehow you will bring in a more loyal fanbase and capitalize on that niche market? Where do you draw the line, or, what side of the line are you on?

We've seen and continue to see time and time again that someone can put whatever bs out with people flocking towards it; sometimes its hot, sometimes its not. But, it is indeed released and put out there and may or may not generate some buzz regardless of what we expect to hear from someone who cares about craft. Many of our "fans" and "consumers" cannot hear the difference with quality, and, if they can, they do not care.

Where do you see yourself in this dilemma? What route do you feel you take? And does that route differ from whats in your heart as an artist?

(Im aware of the staggering amount of variables that a topic as such brings up, but I am just curious on everyones thoughts, whether it be of those who are following the trends of current popular music, or those completely abandoning what is considered the "norm")

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 590
Me personally (technically I'm doing nothing), but I go for quality.

Honestly, fuck the algorithm and fuck the content creation culture. Content creation is largely just serving the platforms and owners, not yourself as a creative.

Do you want to be part of the churning out of shit, making your fast food beats that will be forgotten about tomorrow, and likely never be revisited again. Or make something that someone will want to listen to again an again in years to come.

The whole algorithm and churn out crap paradigm is shit. But/and if you need to play it, I'd recommend going the route of uploading "content" but not necessarily actual releases. That helps satisfy the zombie kids and the ai overlords.

If/when I feel the need to go at that, I'd probably upload content at least once a week. But that wouldn't mean a beat.

Resist the algorithms. Fight back.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah it's a tough call. I would say release whatever, as long as it's part of a goal such as a few singles then an album. But then there's the algorithm and all that which you CAN go with but from my experience it's not worth it. If something blows up, it blows up regardless of the algorithm. If you release stuff just for the sake of it then you'll definitely get lost in the shuffle, unless you have a following outside of where you released your music. (For example, if you upload singles to Youtube but you have a loyal fan base on Instagram.) At least you can try to drive traffic to your Youtube video that way.

On the other hand we've all seen/heard videos/music that SHOULD be blowing up but it's not. Is it the algorithm? Possibly. Most likely. Is it that people don't care about good music and just listen to whatever is popular? Most likely.

The old days of hitting the streets and putting flyers everywhere to get the word out are long gone. Now those streets are filled with everyone else and they're in your way and no one is looking at the walls where the flyers are, they're looking down at their devices lol. That's the best analogy I could come up with.

When it comes to releasing things, don't be like me. Been making music for 25 years and I never feel like anything is ready. If it is it has samples that need clearing. So I've released absolutely fuck all except for the collab with @Memento Beats, which was done after I just came back after 7 years off, changed my DAW and my whole way of making beats, so was rusty as fuck. Not my best work.

I would say never rush and throw stuff out there if you are not happy with it.

I’m not selling beats or anything but I spent a long time searching 80s film quotes for my latest beat / remix that resonated with my childhood (shit loads I missed, but there for another time).

I wanted it finished and uploaded to YouTube last night but it wasn’t ready.

I’ve learnt about ‘Ear Fatigue’ and I have to put down the headphones for a bit then return with fresh ears (well they are my same old ears but feel fresh ya know)

Listened back today and ended up another bloody 3 hours just tinkering with levels and delay to get to where I am happy.
Would have regretted putting it out there last night as sounded fine before the ear break / rest.

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Me personally (technically I'm doing nothing), but I go for quality.

Honestly, fuck the algorithm and fuck the content creation culture. Content creation is largely just serving the platforms and owners, not yourself as a creative.

Do you want to be part of the churning out of shit, making your fast food beats that will be forgotten about tomorrow, and likely never be revisited again. Or make something that someone will want to listen to again an again in years to come.

The whole algorithm and churn out crap paradigm is shit. But/and if you need to play it, I'd recommend going the route of uploading "content" but not necessarily actual releases. That helps satisfy the zombie kids and the ai overlords.

If/when I feel the need to go at that, I'd probably upload content at least once a week. But that wouldn't mean a beat.

Resist the algorithms. Fight back.
Great point with the whole content situation - especially with you saying your content every week wouldnt necessarily be a beat. I guess its truly marketing yourself as a "brand" rather than you just being yourself, in a type of way. Ive been struggling with the idea of that as of lately, knowing that its a certain given to get yourself out there but personally Im having a hard time committing to that - feels a bit unnatural right off the bat. Im like fuck these algorithms overall and have quite a distaste for the current order of operations, however, like Fade said, if someone blows up, they blow up, regardless of algorithm.

@2GooD Productions Im in the same boat as far as releases, and @Iron Keys I feel you. I cant help but stay stuck on quality regardless of the situation.

I guess this also touches on whether you view this more as a hobby just because of the current climate of the game, or do you truly deep down believe in it to go somewhere outside of your current realm?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 590
I guess its truly marketing yourself as a "brand" rather than you just being yourself,
Not necessarily...

I was speaking a year back with someone who was like head of marketing at universal or one of its labels;

The 'personal' approach is lately far more key than any kind of specific trying to appear as a brand type thing (of course, we are our own brand --- but something about the more personal, genuine aspect. Behind the scenes type stuff etc. Just real)

That's what people have been connecting with more.

The 'personal' approach is lately far more key than any kind of specific trying to appear as a brand type thing (of course, we are our own brand --- but something about the more personal, genuine aspect. Behind the scenes type stuff etc. Just real)

That's what people have been connecting with more
I agree with this, all the connections I've made have been just by being real and being myself, and reaching out on a personal level.

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Not necessarily...

I was speaking a year back with someone who was like head of marketing at universal or one of its labels;

That's what people have been connecting with more.
I should have rephrased - my ADD is real (lmao). With that statement, my inclination was to ask more in the perspective of turning your original self into a brand - hence marketing yourself as such and quotations. Im saying this unto the perspective of that you would normally do things you would not do - and not saying this in a negative space whatsoever (because it can be a very positive thing just as much).

Indeed, in this day and age it is definitely more welcomed and encouraged to go your own route, and Im all for it. What one perceives as natural will react as such. I suppose I was also thinking more along of the lines of how different the work is in a way; we are now in this realm of having to juggle pleasing people immediately to garner their attention to check out our actual shit, or we just do what we do best and wait. Throughout this, we have to actually market ourselves in a way different fashion or style due to technology and the state of common society. Its an interesting conundrum, and I dont disagree with what you gentleman have said so far.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I was just taking a break for about a month while my kids were off for summer.

No traction on my YT, pretty much dead. My channel growth has been directly associated with daily uploads unfortunately.

I think in today's age you need to find a way to stay in the algos (if you're trying to grow your brand). When you're established, I'm sure you can take another approach.