Professional software users

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Do y'all know of any big name producers who use software? Who and what software do they use? Do you know of any specific songs that used a specific software?

Decibal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo, I heard that Dre toys with the software a lil too. I even heard from a few people that he produced "In Da Club" with Propellerheads Reason software. Dunno how true that is, but I believe it. I'm positive if he used Reason, he mastered it with hardware obviously.

Peace out

Decibal

O

onetildawn

yeah what CooGi_dice said , almost 80% of the ish on the radio is either touched on by pro tools or completely done within pro tools.

But I think your talking about beat making, In that case Little Brother did all his Ish on FL. Tommy coaster a producer of Dre's and Eminems makes some of his ish on Reason.

Actually there's some pretty decent Dre Style Demos that he made on this page http://www.propellerheads.se/replacehardware/hiphop.htm
peep the Mp3 song " hunted " on that page.

C

CooGi_dice

protools is pretty much the standard world wide..... in major recording studios.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Exactly what does protools do, is it like cool edit or what? What makes it special that all the producers would use it

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by o-a-ksavage
Exactly what does protools do, is it like cool edit or what? What makes it special that all the producers would use it

good question!

Decibal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo,

Protools is basically every big producers tool. Its a sequencer, editor, recorder and lots lots more. You may only use protools with the Digidesign hardware tho. Check it out at www.digidesign.com Its a sick ass production tool. Basically for the home studio recorder, the Mbox is the perfect solution to be able to use their software.

Peace

Decibal

M

MIKELABZ

SO BASICALLY ITS ACID PRO ON STEROIDS. SINCE I DONT HAVE ANY HARDWARE TO USE WITH PROTOOLS IM STICKING WITH THE LIKES OF ACID AND COOL EDIT.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
In my opinion if yer gonna go w/ protools then you better get tha harddisk version or dont even bother...thats where you truely benefit from protools....

But...
Shit! Look @ Bigg Jess..(producer for tha adams fam/ some def jux stuff) - he rocks his shit on cooledit!

If yer low budget, focus on proper converters and good mic's, and mic pre's instead of worring too much about tha software...Im not saying jus go and use a piece a crap software program, but it can be at CEP or ACID's level if ya dig what im saying....

M

MIKELABZ

Originally posted by DueceMade Ent.
If yer low budget, focus on proper converters and good mic's, and mic pre's....

CAN U ELABORATE MORE ON THIS? MIC PRE'S?

TITO

MAESTRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i fuck with protools at school and at my boys howse and im not diggin it, im like decibal i got cubase sx2.. i could do everything on cubase that i could do with protools, post production or sound recording.
if you ask me is overated.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
LAbz...basically, if you had a really proper mic like a nice condensor mic that sounds great for vocals, or even a new sm-57 ball mic and then plugged it into a avalon tube mic preamp, routed into a high quality soundcard interface, or a descent mixer or DAW workstation, thats all you really need and your shits gonna sound butter...Sequence that shit in CEP or ACID, or CUBASE...SONAR is a another good one...and you got some sick trax....keep in mind as long as you also have enough RAM on board to handle your workload and multitrax w/ massive amounts of FX...your good to go.
Thats why ProTools is good...if you dont want to strain your computer because its taxing all your memory every time then protools is tight cuz its a rock solid HD farmcard sitting there by itsself doin tha job for you while yer computer relaxes....Thats tha only real benefit i see with PT...

Personally, i would jus invest in some nice converters, mic pre's, mic's, monitors, headphones, DAW workstations, and after all that - most importantly buy a shit load of ram....

Steezo

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I think in most cases professional or amateur producers are using a combination of some software & hardware in their studios. Pro Tools is the most popular software currently following by maybe Nuendo, Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer and then Cakewalk for professional users. To be honest it all depends on the person though and what their needs are.

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
So i guess por tools is worth buying then.