problems with fruityloops and midi

C

cue labs

yo i just got a turtle beach santa scruz soundcard and now in fruity i gotta put the buffer at like 500 ms to get that shit to work and it still is shit. i also hooked my keyboard in through midi and when you press the key it takes fuckin like 1 second delay for the sound to go on. i dunno whats goin on somebody please help

I

Ieetplayer

That same shit happens with my Oxygen 8. Im about to take it back to the Guitar Center.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
STOP!!!!!!!

Ieetplayer, it has nothing to do with your Oxygen 8, it's because of the drivers on your soundcard. What card are you using?

Cue Labs, in Fruity Loops you have to use ASIO drivers for whatever card you have or else there will be the 500ms delay. If the Santa Cruz doesn't come with ASIO drivers, you should return it and get one that does.

Nick

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
reason comes with a asio driver for the creative labs soundblaster. since lots of soundcards are compatible with this chipset, you can get your old card going with decent latency. That´s the way I got my old noname laptop soundcard working with most of the programs. But a new soundcard should definitely support asio so if you can return it, go for it and invest in a good one.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

HaZwaiOh, did I hear you correctly that Reason makes ASIO drivers for soundcards?

This is not a normal practice, it's more common for soundcard manufacturers to write the drivers because they know the card inside and out. Also, the blame lays on the card manufacturer instead of the software manufacturer.

That would be cool if they did though, although that would take a TON of manhours to get drivers written for every card under every operating system (XP/2000, ME/98, OSx, OS 9).

Do Propellerheads have some sort of thing going on with Creative Labs? And which Soundblaster do they write the driver for (Live!, Audigy! Audigy2!, Extigy!...they all have different drivers).

Take care,

Nick

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
@ vitaminman, sorry, i mixed it up.
actually it is cubase that supplies drivers for sb compatible soundcards. since most cheap soundcards (notebook built in etc.) are soundblaster compatible this driver might also work for your card. For me it worked and i was able to switch from direct sound to asio, which was great.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

Which card are you using? I think that all modern soundcards are SB compatible, it was a standard Creative Labs created about 10 years ago that other manufacturers followed after the success of the SB16.

I'm a Cubase user of 5+ years, I've always had to get ASIO drivers from the card manufacturer. I remember that they provided an ASIO 'wrapper' which allowed you to communicate with any card that didn't have dedicated ASIO drivers, you got lower latency than with MME drivers and could do full duplex recording...the DX drivers had even better latency, but you couldn't record with them.

Are you getting good latency with these drivers? My Delta 1010 has something like 10-20ms latency, as far as I can tell response is immediate...MME gives me 500 ms latency, DX gives me 200ms.

Take care,

Nick

M

Millenium

Best Solution When All Else Fails

What I would do is reinstall your Turtle Beach Sound Card! There should be no reason why you have to set your buffer to 500ms to get it to play right! Usually a buffer of 200ms if probably ideal for most tasks your performing! I could be wrong but this sounds like a OS problem possibly with communication to the Soundcard! Always Uninstall/Reinstall before giving up and taking your merchandise back! It could just be a OS problem! Also do you have everything in Fruityloops set to be a slave to your keyboard or whatever external device your using! Hope this helps! Stay Up