Open Labs Neko or Andromeda A6 w/rack modules

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I got a big budget to spend for my personal studio and trying to decide between two different setups.

I was considering getting a Open Labs Neko LX and just using Virtual Instruments as my sounds or getting a rain recording element pc and the alesis andromeda a6 w/ a motif es rack, xv-5080 and a se-1 rack.
I plan on sequencing with Sonar 6 because Im used to it and I know it inside and out.I'm looking for the best sound quality from my core instruments(pianos, strings, horns etc) and the ablility to create my own sounds with my synths.Which setup would you suggest to acheive what Im talking about.

I've read all the different post about the on going battle of software vs hardware and which sounds better.But alot of it is biased advice, but when you listen to whats hot right now as far music the producers are still using alot of new hardware gear and old hardware gear even with all the VST plugins that are out there.

To me it seems like hardware still has better sound quality than software but I may be wrong.

So enlighten me on whats what on this subject.

Give me some advice and recommendations on it all

Peace

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
Alright basically my gripe with that openlabs joint is this: if that crashes, you are royally sad. I always like to diversify.
As far as hardware vs. software, i'll give you my personal opinion instead of trying to give you the end all be all verdict: software is super flexible and fast. I started out on Reason and still use it sometimes because it is such a good program and you could do almost anything on it. That being said I use hardware now...simply because i like the workflow.

See, with hardware you can't do everything at the click of the mouse...it's a more meditative experience and in my opinion that gives time for soul to creep out into your beats. If you have lightning fast software, you might not give yourself enough time or thought. Again, that is not to knock software, just something to think about. it all depends on your workflow...how you personally work.

My setup is now a roland mv-8000, roland fantom x and a moog voyager rackmount. Although it is a little less convenient to turn each one on and off and make sure everything is saving what it needs to etc, the feeling and soul that has come back into my beats since switching again is undeniable.
that's me though. i've heard some ill stuff come out of fl studio (sorry i have to make the 9th wonder reference) and also some grimy beats come out of a little sp-404 (madlib).

see how it keeps going back and forth?

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Alright basically my gripe with that openlabs joint is this: if that crashes, you are royally sad. I always like to diversify.
As far as hardware vs. software, i'll give you my personal opinion instead of trying to give you the end all be all verdict: software is super flexible and fast. I started out on Reason and still use it sometimes because it is such a good program and you could do almost anything on it. That being said I use hardware now...simply because i like the workflow.

See, with hardware you can't do everything at the click of the mouse...it's a more meditative experience and in my opinion that gives time for soul to creep out into your beats. If you have lightning fast software, you might not give yourself enough time or thought. Again, that is not to knock software, just something to think about. it all depends on your workflow...how you personally work.

My setup is now a roland mv-8000, roland fantom x and a moog voyager rackmount. Although it is a little less convenient to turn each one on and off and make sure everything is saving what it needs to etc, the feeling and soul that has come back into my beats since switching again is undeniable.
that's me though. i've heard some ill stuff come out of fl studio (sorry i have to make the 9th wonder reference) and also some grimy beats come out of a little sp-404 (madlib).

No one should try to elaborate on this....this is perfectly said....

Yo you should have said at the end...THATS HOW U DEBATE!!...Old School reference

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah thats my gripe with open labs too it just seems too good to be true but a producer I know has one and he says that this is there 3rd generation and there really stable and he sampled all of his racks into and just uses that from session to session.

If I dont go with the open labs joint I was going to get a either an MPC 2500 or Roland MV-8800 w/ a alesis andromeda, motif es rack, xv-5080 & se-1.

I dont know Im up in the air I like both workflows so im stuck on this one.

Al it juright basically my gripe with that openlabs joint is this: if
that crashes, you are royally sad. I always like to diversify.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man no software will ever sound like an andromeda does. get yourself that or a voyager, and the xv and that other stuff and you'll be straight.

members online