New Album Release Statistics

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I've decided to rearrange my music library, I'm doing it by the month that the new release comes out. In doing so, I noticed a trend in the last 2 years. It could go further back than that but I'm only going back to 2010. Does anyone know or even have an idea why there are more new album releases near the end of the year than at the beginning?

Is this some kind of selling strategy or what?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I would say Christmas....I would think the best time was summer, when kids are out of school and can rock to the best summer jams....

Jay did it every year in the summer....

Also a lot of singles come out in the summer, to become huge hits....and fall and winter follow the summer...so after two successful singles in the summer/fall....drop the album in the winter.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I mean, if it's a sales strategy thing that makes them wait, then I can't imagine them NOT dropping their releases at the end of Spring or early Summer like Sucio was saying. It would even seem to be a good idea to drop when everyone else isn't dropping. I know for a fact that a lot of them try to avoid bumping heads which in-turn increases their chances of going platinum. It just seems that nothing drops early in the year like January thru March but Sept and November are really strong months for new releases.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I mean, if it's a sales strategy thing that makes them wait, then I can't imagine them NOT dropping their releases at the end of Spring or early Summer like Sucio was saying. It would even seem to be a good idea to drop when everyone else isn't dropping. I know for a fact that a lot of them try to avoid bumping heads which in-turn increases their chances of going platinum. It just seems that nothing drops early in the year like January thru March but Sept and November are really strong months for new releases.

October is when all the award shows are, you gotta buzz before then for album of the year, grammy etc. Christmas is in December and I think Dec 10th is when all major labels lay off untill the new year. So you start promo 4 months ahead of release thats June/July to be fresh in peoples minds for awards and have your buzz last till Christmas. If you listen to raps, alot of people brag about "dropping in the 4th quarter" cause thats when the most competition is, people will avoid a Jay/Kanye/Eminem release cause you want your release to make an impact and be an event, hard to do that when Aftermath, Rocknation, Good music is your competition.