Need advice on TV purchase

• warzone (oct 8-12) signup begins in...

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
So I've been considering getting a new TV to replace my 32" CRT. I've been looking at spending about 500-600$, but I have no idea what to look for. Any suggestions on good models or what to look for?

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
Ive seen 32 inch lcd's for 300 and less. dont worry about 1080p unless your getting a 42" or better. most people cant really tell the difference anyway. the human eye can only read upto a 120Mhz. anything over that is just window dressing. contrast ratio makes little to no difference. walk into a best buy or walmart or whatever the big chains are in canada to check out and look at the pictures on the tvs. sams club is practically giving tv away.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Thanks for the info Big Tone. I was checking out some tv's at a shop today, looking at the differences. When in full HD, I couldn't really tell the difference between similarly budgeted tv's. I'm looking to probably get a 40", as I'm going to be splitting the cost with someone else. I saw a sony model for about 699$ that looked quite nice, but I'll probably wait till after boxing day and see what deals pop up.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Eff Wal-mart....

Lol @ Boxing day...the day after Christmas...

Yeah, the only way you can tell the difference is on Blu-ray..and you def need at least 40" for that..

I have a 42" Samsung LCD with 1080p 120hz, bought it like 2 n a half years ago. (was $2200 at Circuit City [when they still had stores]) Now they're less than half the price.

Yeah..1080p and 120hz is the way to go...get one with decent speakers if you don't have surround sound hooked up. My Samsung has pretty good speakers.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Eff Wal-mart....

Lol @ Boxing day...the day after Christmas...

Yeah, the only way you can tell the difference is on Blu-ray..and you def need at least 40" for that..

I have a 42" Samsung LCD with 1080p 120hz, bought it like 2 n a half years ago. (was $2200 at Circuit City [when they still had stores]) Now they're less than half the price.

Yeah..1080p and 120hz is the way to go...get one with decent speakers if you don't have surround sound hooked up. My Samsung has pretty good speakers.

i bet I have that same tv in our bedroom, the picture sometimes makes you stop and go "Got damn that looks good!"

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
My advice:

-Get a Korean brand: either LG or Samsung

I've heard from numerous people that work in these retail markets that Samsung and Sony's parts are identical, the only difference is price...

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
I have a 50" DLP that i bought 4 years ago and it looks sharp as hell at 720p. I guarantee that most people cant tell the difference between 720p and 1080p up to 55". over that is when the difference is any type of noticeable.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Samsung makes most screens out there... Sony's screen are Samsung as well i believe... i have a 42" Samsung LCD as well... bought it around the same time as u guys... ordered it online for 1800... my next one will be a 55-60" Samsung LED.. sometime next year... Samsung and JVC also makes the screens for the Sony PSP, thats why the parts are identical.

da relic