Need advice on best route to take

K

Kinh

Hello, I am a music producer/songwriter and am at the stage of launching into the industry.
I am in the process of putting together my portfolio, once I have I'll use it to shop for representation.
My question is,
Is it possible to enter into a songwriter deal AND a co-publishing deal (whereby the attorney will pitch my material to artists, labels, producers etc) with the same publishing company or even another publisher? Or is the attorney shopping your songs a bit of a myth?
It's just I'm getting different takes on who shops material now...the attorney or the publisher? Some say the publisher has become redundant and takes on administrative tasks, others say the attorney doesn't shop material unless you're Calvin Harris. Anyone know?

tomkillsjerry

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 128
ok why would attorneys shop your songs?
they are needed for anytime you sign deal but only to be sure you aren't signing a bad one.
Song Writing is a hard thing to get into because its not a one person deal if you're going top 40. You have a producer an arranger then the top-line or hook writers.
and then the producers or managers take sometimes 200 tracks and spread them around label A&R's.