MPD 24 n AXIOM 25 with REASON 3

gpaschal25

ill o.g.
Hey guys,im new to this and loving it

Great forum

I have connected both the mpd 24 and the axiom 25 via usb but when on REASON it only lets me use one oF the devises at a time...i have to disconect one to use the other

How can i make it so i can use both midi controllers

rgrds
george p
Melbourne aUS

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
You only can have one master at a time. I'd make the mpd the master and route the axiom thru it. It's similar to my set except I have my mpc as the master and I route my axiom thru my mpc. Since my mpc is not usb, I have to midi out of my mpc and go midi in to my fast track pro sound card. The sound card is usb'd to my computer.

Your routing should be midi out of the axiom to midi in of your mpd and the usb of your mpd to your computer.

Do you have a sound card? If so what kind. If your using the sound card that came with your computer it won't work out to well. Latency will be a BIG issue for you.

gpaschal25

ill o.g.
Thanks or your feedback
You have been a great help
no sound card at the moimment maybe down the track when i have done few more hours with this
rgrds
george p

PS What is latancy

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Thanks or your feedback
You have been a great help
no sound card at the moimment maybe down the track when i have done few more hours with this
rgrds
george p

PS What is latancy

Latency is a time delay between the moment you press a key or pad, and the moment that becomes detectable. If you don't have a professional sound card that amount of time can be great which in turn will give you fits when making a track. You'll hit a key or pad and it may sound as though its in time but when you play it back it won't be. More than likely the notes will fall later than you want them to. You want to try and keep latency under 10 milliseconds. Chances are you won't get good latency with the sound card that came with your computer.

gpaschal25

ill o.g.
Your routing should be midi out of the axiom to midi in of your mpd and the usb of your mpd to your computer.

Ok i have done this but the Axiom25 wont power on

Do i need a power supply from the axiom to turn on or should it be using the power of the mpd and its usb to computer???

rgrds
George p

T

The Arkitekt

Axioms need power transformers when using them without the USB. Theyre 12v, you might find one around your house or you can pick one up at Radio Shack, etc.

gpaschal25

ill o.g.
ok so have connected a power supply today. The axiom powers on so thats all good

plug it all up again but still only the mpd2 works,how do change so i can use the axiom25

rgrds
george p

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
U need a midi interface so u don't have to choose one over the other. USB is cool when you have one piece of equipment but when you start expanding like you are, you need dedicated power sources for all of your equipment (unless it's usb powered only) and a midi hub of some sort. I think you've said that you don't have an external sound card? If you get the M-Audio Fast Track Pro you'll have a sound card and the midi interface that you need.

usb devices that route power and midi thru one cable limit you severely! Once again, it'll serve the purpose for a one device set up. When you start adding devices it doesn't work out so well. Dedicated power sources (a sound card) and a midi interface is what you need now. There's no other way!

You have to go with an "in series" set up. Right now you're parallel, you have everything on one phone line talking at the same time and no one's being heard.....lol. On device needs to communicate thru the next. I hope I'm making sense.

T

The Arkitekt

It's not possible he could use both with USB? or do the devices interfere or something

T

The Arkitekt

Yeah, if your computer is prebuilt from a manufactuer, i'm pretty sure they would put a power supply in your computer with enough watts to run every USB port at once

gpaschal25

ill o.g.
U need a midi interface so u don't have to choose one over the other. USB is cool when you have one piece of equipment but when you start expanding like you are, you need dedicated power sources for all of your equipment (unless it's usb powered only) and a midi hub of some sort. I think you've said that you don't have an external sound card? If you get the M-Audio Fast Track Pro you'll have a sound card and the midi interface that you need.

usb devices that route power and midi thru one cable limit you severely! Once again, it'll serve the purpose for a one device set up. When you start adding devices it doesn't work out so well. Dedicated power sources (a sound card) and a midi interface is what you need now. There's no other way!

You have to go with an "in series" set up. Right now you're parallel, you have everything on one phone line talking at the same time and no one's being heard.....lol. On device needs to communicate thru the next. I hope I'm making sense.

ok so i have made a few calls and will get one of these m-audio fast track devices soon

Then how do i set it all up,what plugs where,how do i route it all up

George P

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
ok so i have made a few calls and will get one of these m-audio fast track devices soon

Then how do i set it all up,what plugs where,how do i route it all up

George P

When you get it hit me up by way of PM's and I'll walk u thru it!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I use a Ox8 and a CME UF5 both powered via usb in reason and it works fine.

the devices being usb powered is not the problem. It's the fact that they're usb powered and there midi run thru the same cable. This does not allow you to do any midi routing of your own and the computer is not going to route your midi in series for you.

He wants to basically use two controllers at once. Only one can be the master, the other has to go thru the master. If he gets the fast track pro his mpd will be the master, he'll come out of his axiom into the mpd by way of a standard midi cable and then out of the mpd with a standard midi cable into the midi in of the fast track pro. He will then be able to connect the fast track pro's usb powered/midi cable to the computer and everything should work the way he wants it to.

It's exactly the set up I use except I have an MPC instead of a MPD.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Oh word...I must have missed that he wants to use 2 controllers at the same time?.....

Yep. Two controllers will show up in Reason preferences but only one can be the master and only one can be used at a time that way. He would have to keep going to preferences/midi devices and change which one is the master in order to use it but still only one at a time.