MPC Ren as MIDI Controller in another DAW (FL Studio)

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
Anyone found a way to make this work? I picked up a Ren used, and have the free version of MPC Beats software. They want me to pay for the MPC 2 software license that came with the Ren, but I don't like their software (horrible latency issues) enough to purchase it, which I think is stupid anyway (The Ren needs some version of their software to work basically), and I have FL. In my studio, I can use MIDI cables to use it as a controller like I do with my 1k, my Roland, and other hardware to control FL, but on my MacBook, I still haven't figured it out yet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Anyone found a way to make this work? I picked up a Ren used, and have the free version of MPC Beats software. They want me to pay for the MPC 2 software license that came with the Ren, but I don't like their software (horrible latency issues) enough to purchase it, which I think is stupid anyway (The Ren needs some version of their software to work basically), and I have FL. In my studio, I can use MIDI cables to use it as a controller like I do with my 1k, my Roland, and other hardware to control FL, but on my MacBook, I still haven't figured it out yet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.
I don't have the Ren but I remember setting it up with my MPC 2500 and FL a while ago just to test it. I had the basics set up but what did you want to control with it?

I really don't remember what I was able to control.

Does anyone using FL Studio have an answer?

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
Yeah I do the same thing with my 1000. The Ren will too on the studio PC using the actual MIDI cable, but the USB on my MacBook is a different animal.

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
I have a Ren and I used the MPC2 software (2.13) and I never had a problem with it but I am on a PC. I like the MPC Beats but I need more tracks
There's a workaround for that; Beats has virtually unlimited tracks if you get a little creative with it. I wouldn't mind using MPC2, but I was a bit salty that when I bought the Ren used, I wasn't aware that it actually needed the MPC (2 or Beats) to function, and even after I registered the Ren and talked to Akai, they wouldn't transfer the software license and tried to make me pay for the license for the software that I owned the disc to. I already own FL, which in my personal opinion is a far superior tool. And honestly, with all of the headaches with latency issues in Beats (which after some online digging, is a known issue that they've failed to address), it made me even more reluctant to fork over hundreds of (more) dollars for a license to use the software disc that came with the Ren, and for a *perceived* higher track count, VST support, and being able to finally use all of the free expansion packs that also came with the Ren. Had I known what I was getting into, I probably wouldn't have even bought it, as I already have a tricked out 1000 and an MPD. I knew the Ren was just a super monster MIDI controller, but it blew my mind to find out that it really only works with their proprietary software, like old school Pro Tools. The idea of combining MPC hardware with FL Studio had me hype, but it really became a disappointment.

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
I signed up for the MPC3 beta in the hopes that maybe that would sell me on the software, but then I realized it seems to be just for the stand alone units, and the Ren isn't listed as compatible. I'd like to try out MPC2 and see if it's going to scratch that itch for me because I really love the Ren, but I'm definitely not going to shell out more money to them when the free version has known issues they haven't fixed, and customer service already tried to extort me for a license.

I signed up for the MPC3 beta in the hopes that maybe that would sell me on the software, but then I realized it seems to be just for the stand alone units, and the Ren isn't listed as compatible. I'd like to try out MPC2 and see if it's going to scratch that itch for me because I really love the Ren, but I'm definitely not going to shell out more money to them when the free version has known issues they haven't fixed, and customer service already tried to extort me for a license.
With all the new updates on MPC3 beta Im not sure if the Ren will work with it. (I hope it does) If not I'll be getting a new MPC maybe I might get the Ren twin (The standalone version) or another one just to be different
4a6c8f44d2GfKtNdXLek50VRrWCU6GlapPKcO3fq.jpeg