Mpc-1000

GhostChamberz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 128
Ok, any of u guys actually own one of these?
A guy i know bought this and he wasnt really sure if he wanted to keep it
he wasnt sure if it was worth da $ , personally i think its worth da $
but he a software dude (we all know u can do everything the MPC does on software) but its a whole nother approach wit hardware and it would improve the feel of my beats and workflow. I got no doubts about MPC's cos that shit is for me, but i'd like to hear ya opinions on it.
2nd hand mpc2000xl or a new mpc-1000 ?

B

bassey

I just got the MPC 1000, yesterday, it really does kick ass. I am also a software guy (been using exs24 for years). It is a whole different approach.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
i say get the 2nd hand 2000xl if its in good condition and you feel like it will last for a while. The benefits of having newer technology outweighs having new "old" technology, if you get my drift.

dac

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
is it true there is no time stretch feature?

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
lol use your computer, what a half ass mpc.

On the downside, the following XL features are missing from the MPC 1000.

Sequencer capacity cut from 300,000 to 100,000
No timestretch
No MTC sync
No SCSI port
No way to hook up an external storage device like CDROM or Zip
No sample reverse
Velocity sensitive attack and decay params are gone (as far as I can see)
Using 2000XL programs will only keep basic pad assignment, all other parameters will need to be re-programmed one-by-one.
No support for any audio file type except WAV (MPC2000, MPC3000, S1000/3000 need to be converted to WAV first).
No tilting screen
Can only have 6 outs, not 10 like the XL.

so you can't hook up any storage devices? no time stretch? have to go back to pc evreytime you need to use another file format? lets not forget the awesomely tilting screenis gone?!

that machine is wack, especially when the 2kxl's (studio versions) are seeling for 700-900. Akai gets a D+ on this one.....terrible man just terrible.
:headscrat

maybe if it were seelling for 499 that would make up for it.

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
seems like those of us who own an mpc 2000xl know the differences of both machines, just because i don't own a certain machine doesn't mean i can't critic it by its specs.

how can anyone like saving thier beats on compact flash data? thats garbage. Reall whats the difference in the "usage" from the akai mpd 16. It seems the 1000 was made more for pc use, so tell me why wouldn't you get an mpd 16?

believe me everyone that used the other mpc will tell you this is not worth the money.

PO-ETHIX definetly get an mpc 2000xl do not waist your money the 1000, you will be sorry dude!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Sequencer capacity cut from 300,000 to 100,000

Enough for a track to compose.

No timestretch

USB+wav editor

No MTC sync

Word not dedicated, single dedication to sampling/midi

No SCSI port

USB

No way to hook up an external storage device like CDROM or Zip

USB

No sample reverse

USB+wav editor

Velocity sensitive attack and decay params are gone (as far as I can see)

on envelope you mean ? or velocity to start/end location ?!

Using 2000XL programs will only keep basic pad assignment, all other parameters will need to be re-programmed one-by-one.

No support for any audio file type except WAV (MPC2000, MPC3000, S1000/3000 need to be converted to WAV first).

USB+Wav editor

No tilting screen

It's a bit over an A4 sheet, we're not midgets.

Can only have 6 outs, not 10 like the XL.

But they're embedded now and not optional.

so you can't hook up any storage devices? no time stretch? have to go back to pc evreytime you need to use another file format? lets not forget the awesomely tilting screenis gone?!

Just use wav, I dont see the problem why not ?!

that machine is wack, especially when the 2kxl's (studio versions) are seeling for 700-900. Akai gets a D+ on this one.....terrible man just terrible.
:headscrat

maybe if it were seelling for 499 that would make up for it.

That and a different colour.

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ha ha true a better color would be nice, i was looking into getting this device but i just saw all this work arounds that you have to do. This USB connection is only to transport data right? i don't think you can save your beats on your pc with that usb connection or connect a usb HD. But rather forced to save only with those cards.

I also think it kinda sucks that you have to buy audio software to mess with your samples. Many people have pirated versions of software but still i think that wasn't akai intent for people to do. So yeah you must buy software to work with your samples, thats not nice knowing you have to spend another couple hundred for that.

Ive been reading all the problems peopel are having with usb connections and thier computers freezeing up, their mpc's locking up cause of the flash cards, problems with midi, losing beats cause of flash cards. I just see this as a big hassle, im only reporting what i researched.

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-1000/mpc-1000.php

check the mpc1000 forums if you don't believe me. http://www.mpc-forums.com/

faint

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
seems like alotta tension coming fron 2000 users now yall know how the mpc 60 and 3000 users felt when they made the 2000 but for real the features missin on the 1000 are not that important 300,000 capacity whose really gonna hit that pads that many times time stretch who even uses this feature and ifu did u would see that it sucks on the 2000 u betta off gettin a 950 to do it compact flash loads faster than zip and u can get cards thats 2 gig connectin to the comp aint hard at all dont why so many people havin problems it comes with 6 outs out the box thats better than 2 on the 2000 comes with efx betta then havin to buy the efx card the features it adds make up for the features its missin (the high pass filter alone) this is a more complete machine out the box to me and the feel reminds me of my mpc 60 its a good machine just as good as the 2000 with a couple of things missin but also a few betta things added u wont go wrong with it dont listen to bitter 2000 users if u have doubts go to samplekings.com and watch the preview

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Im happy with 2 mpc2000xl's. I dont use the sampler much, just midi and it works tight as hell. I would sell em but I wouldn't mind having a mpc1000. It does serve a different purpose and I also see that the bugs contradict it's features , but by spec its a good machine and wont really do less than the 2kxl, definitly for what midi concerns, I aint to bothered with the sampler.

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
faint don't turn this into an argument. Stop calling people bitter, your going to make this into an argument kid.

Hey formant do you know if it is possible to connect an HD to the usb cable?
I might reconsider it again if this is possible, thats my main concern right now, is connecting an HD and hooking it up to my triton. I wonder if usb hubs would work lol.

faint

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
hey i just call it how i see it , it a good machine no need to knock it go to sam ash and play with one on display u ll see the only thing i think would have been betta is the extra 4 outs but personally i dont like sample in 16 bit so thats where the s950 comes in so thats 12 outs

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
true true, i was trying to reconsider the machine but i just realized the 1000 doesn't have any form of input devides such as floppy, zip, or scsi, and only that USB for transfering. To me i just can't rely on my PC for creating music, what happens if you have pc problems or your HD crashes? does that mean your mpc is no longer functionable? meaning you wont be able to load any wavs to it, so how can you further use the machine? I was thinking of all these possibilities then i said to myself, "WTF?! why am i even thinking of such possibilities in the first place?" then i said to myself maybe this machine isn't for me.

Personally i like to keep my music creating away from the computer and more on hardware, and i think the mpc 1000 was made for the opposite. I only use my pc for recording tracks and vocals. I think all of us have pretty much nick picked all the features and debated enough on this machine, for others to make their own decision about it.

faint

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
that what the compact flash is for it loads 10 times faster then floppy or zip and u can even transfer to the comp and save it to cd then load them back up when u ready for them

H

Haterade

I don't know guys-

I've been playing with one, and here's my observations:

1. The DA converters are different than the 2000xl. It makes the machine sound more like an ASR-X. (Real "plastic" feel to your sounds)

2. The new filter is a godsend, especially if you're making beats with just the MPC.

3. Those fucking pads ARE WACK AS, well, FUCK. I'm sorry, I'd rather play with those toy-ass Fantom pads before the MPC 1000's.

4. Cutdown on the sequencer... damn.... damn...

5. USB is for transfering back and forth to a computer only, not to a HD, CD/CDR, etc.

6. That shit looks worse than a Roland groovebox- make sure you get that painted!

To me honestly, it seems the 1000 is made for intergration with a computer, but for all it does, I'd say get Kontakt and the MPD pads and save $300... So what if it's portable, how many of you guys really take your gear around???

I would rather have the 2000xl and the MCF42 filterbox.

D

da best 2 do it

I have a mpc1000 and its a beast right out the box my 13yr old brother is killing it. 2 me its worth the money and its still brand new..

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
If it doesn't support USB to external storage than yeah it's a drag, but I dont see why you can not hook up a USB storage device to it ? If anyone knows specs or details...

I also dont think you can replace drives for HD's, that's a setback but 2 Gb on Flash is more than enough to get to work on it without the USB at all.

Again, from my perspective, fuck the sampler, as far as midi goes it's still an ultimate seq. and the real deal on stage ( besides just hiphop ). If you want a good sampler buy a racksampler of any kind, do you want a workstation with good midi features add either the 2kxl or the 1K to it and you're still rock solid without a pc.

The mpd is funny, but I dont see why you couldn't use a standard midikeyboard to trigger them drums ?!?!

members online