monitoring......

Jay

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
if anyone can help me I would much appreciate it. I am monitoring through my DJ mixer at the moment which is hooked up to a pair of pioneer monitors. The outputs on my computer are going into the line inputs on the mixer(which is a 2 channel). The record output of the mixer is going out to the inputs of my computer. I cant plug both the input and outout cables into my computer otherwise I get a nasty feedback sound. I have to switch the cables everytime I want to record into my computer and then switch the cables when I want to hear the mix. Does anyone have a solution to this so I dont have to switch the cables? Thanks in advance.

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What you have going on is a loop thats why you hear the feedback sound. The mixer is outputing the same thing it is imputing, then inputing what it is outputing.

Confusing enough?

What you need to do is connect the outputs of your computer directly to the speakers. Then the outputs of the mixer into the inputs of the computer. You will be able to record like that and monitor it. but you need to change the wires over in order to use your mixer without the computer, or just use the computer the whole time........That should work.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
What that would do is make you need to have your computer in record ready to listen through it.

Another way (besides getting a better mixer) is to use your headphone send.

Get a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo cable (or use some adapters) and send your cues out to your computer through the headphone output of your mixer. Send your computer back to channel 2 and it won't feedback. Now when you record, all you have to do is use cue level and pick channel 1 as your source. A good hint is to cut the level on channel 1 while doing this, so you're only listening to what's being sent to the computer and back, and not both levels of "before tape" and "after tape" as they say.

I used to do this with reverb units to and from my 2-ch and it worked well.

Jay

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Hypnotist said:
What that would do is make you need to have your computer in record ready to listen through it.

Another way (besides getting a better mixer) is to use your headphone send.

Get a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo cable (or use some adapters) and send your cues out to your computer through the headphone output of your mixer. Send your computer back to channel 2 and it won't feedback. Now when you record, all you have to do is use cue level and pick channel 1 as your source. A good hint is to cut the level on channel 1 while doing this, so you're only listening to what's being sent to the computer and back, and not both levels of "before tape" and "after tape" as they say.

I used to do this with reverb units to and from my 2-ch and it worked well.

nice, thanx

members online