Mid 2000s/Timbaland Style Beat

• beat this! (sep 18-19) signup begins in...

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
2 beats in one weekend...

...I'm usually never this productive. Came across the boomy kick in my MPC storage and immediately thought of those mid-2k Timbo style beats.. This one went through several different iterations that were all scrapped before I got to this one. While I wasn't deliberately trying to copy him, I did want to get a variety of his trademark sounds in there:
  • Boomy kicks
  • Percussion
  • Funky - syncopated guitar/bass sounds
  • Big lead synths
Arrangement and B-Sections are my notable weak areas - so I tried to cover it up with FX/transitions. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Last edited:

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
Very cool sounds you used, and the transitions sound good to me I don’t hear nothing wrong on my end. I can hear the Timbo influence in the synth and the overall bounce this has

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Thank @Sole Element

Appreciate the feedback. When I first started making beats, my friends and I spent A LOT of time trying to imitate the big names (Dre, Neptunes, Kanye, and Timbo).

It was a fun exercise trying to make a beat in the style of someone else while also adding my own flavour.

Thanks for the listen.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 590
Has a fairly decent mix - at least sounds balanced and nothing out here causing offence.

It doesn't quite hit the mark for me in terms of having that real Timbaland feel, but I can hear where and how that influence is being used.

I think, in terms of the mix, the kick may have needed more prominence to get across the Timbo vibe. It's sitting a little too nicely. In terms of the mix it's a really good mix like I said.

Musically, similar to the mix, I think things are working together too agreeably as well. Timbaland hits pockets amazingly, but it's more a case of things 'working harmoniously against eachother' is the best way I can put it. Whereas in your track, things are simply 'working harmoniously together' --- hope this makes some kind of useful sense.

Either way, is good work.

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Hey @Iron Keys

Your commentary does make a lot of sense!

I think the what is "missing" is the use of samples, particularly, the pairing of samples with original material. I won't claim to have the innate sense of Groove Timbo does, but the interplay between his sample choice, the way he chops samples, and the natural timbre they have are important factors in the way his overall sound comes across.

As far as things sitting "too nicely" I'll take it as a compliment. All the parts were written by me, hence them blending so well (harmonically). A side affect of that is, there isn't the aliasing or colouring of sounds from time-stretching or pitch shifting. I did go back and chop a few elements. My approach to beats is to make the little snippets that one would generally sample from a record. The guitars and organs are examples of that.

Mixing has always been a weak area for me, and I really just aim to get it to a "listenable" state before posting.

Appreciate the feedback and the listen!

Now the battle is over I can give some input. For a few of my newest tracks including the one for the final of the battle that I have been using arpeggiated synths and ostinatos. I composed both the round 3 and round 4 beats. This beat from the outset reminds me of some of those, and I like it, maybe I'm biased lol.
At no point do I feel anything is missing, except maybe the vocals, I like the transitions, sounds like some of my drum and bass transitions, keeps the basic loop interesting throughout. Some nice interplay between the left and right.
It doesnt sound like a Timbaland beat to me, and I personally think thats a good thing, could rather say inspired by. Mixwise, it sounds good to me. Sounds pretty rich and full.

Sounds a lot like something I would make. Maybe we should collab on something composed sometime.

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Thanks @2GooD Productions !!

Appreciate the feedback. "Inspired by" is definitely a more apt way to describe it. Again, I wanted to get some key elements in there - but of course make something of my own.

I would love to collaborate on some stuff! I'll be honest though, I work very slowly and don't make a ton of music. While I do tinker throughout the week, finishing a beat is rare for me. Either way, drop me a line and we can try to make some magic.

Cheers,