Interviews Miami Native Tia Michelle Sets The Mood With Her Soulful Voice

• beat this! voting starts in...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
tiamichelle_big.jpg

Tia Michelle is an enticingly elective new blend of Neo-Soul and R&B. The 27 year old Miami, Florida native brings a voluptuous yet simplistically beautiful voice and sound into the world of Soul. Funky and diverse, she focuses on love, life, laughter and learning from the joys and pains we all face in day to day life while expressing her lessons through her heart-felt and common sense style of singing.

Tia Michelle has been nominated for the Georgia Music Awards 2012, and has performed at numerous events such as the Sweet Auburn Festival, Project Take Back (for Valley University, GA), and Pan African Festival (Macon, GA). Her new single "Questions" which describes someone's personal growth, is a very requested song throughout the southern region. Tia Michelle took time out of her busy schedule to let us get to know her better:

Hi Tia! Tell everyone where are you located.

I currently live in a sweet little town called Warner Robins, GA. About 20 minutes from Macon, GA, the birthplace of Otis Redding, Little Richard and the sound of the Almond Brothers. So I'm surrounded by the roots of great Soul music.

Where are you from originally?

I am originally from Miami, FL. The 305. Born in Kendall, raised in South Miami Heights. That's where I get my style and smoothness from, LOL.

When did you start making music?

I started making music when I was around 13-14. I heard "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" and my mind was blown. I sat at my kitchen table and wrote my first song on the back of a brown paper bag because I was so inspired and that's when the world of music formally introduced itself to me.

Why did you start making music?

I started making music because I wanted to tell stories that would let other little girls or young women know they weren't alone and that I was going through the same things and struggles as they were. I wanted to make music that others could relate to because at the time I didn't really relate to the music that was playing all around me. I wanted a voice that was all my own. So I used mine. That's why I truly started making music.

How would you describe your style?

I love Neo-Soul and R&B and I try my best to fuse those two powerful genres together in my old soulful voice that I've come to embrace. My voice is what makes me different because it's not the norm, especially not for my age. So I gravitate towards those sounds.

Who was your inspiration?

My inspiration was and still is Lauryn Hill! I've never heard a voice so touching to my soul. She spoke to the little girl in me and made me feel like I was heard and that I was understood. I'd never heard a voice at the time so full and beautiful and she still sings my heart song to this day.

Were your parents for or against it?

They were initially against it because they knew it wouldn't be easy for me being that I'm not the standard version of what's considered industry beauty. I'm a thick sista with a big voice and personality to boot, a pretty chocolate complexion and your everyday normal girl who'd rather play a pick up game of basketball with the boys than shop or gossip about boys forever, although I can LOL. So in their eyes it would've been harder for me and I'd face far more rejection than acceptance. To top it all a off, my father is a deacon and my mother is a minister... so that pretty much tells that story on how they feel LOL! But they've come around and are now as supportive as they can be without compromising their personal integrity which I respect and fully understand now.

What was your first song that you dropped?

My debut single to hit the airways is called "Questions". It's my baby and my first love, and is the lead single from my debut album "Truth Is" out on Amazon.com for $7.99.

Did someone have to push you to make music?

Yes I did actually, I had and have a few people. It started with my cousin/brother Bernard. He's my cousin but he's like a brother who first told me I had a gift and a voice that I shouldn't hide but that I should share it with pride and write from my heart. His wife Tiana also inspired me to be different and be comfy in my weirdness. As I grew up and I lost touch with music until I met two amazing young men who are now among my few, closest and best friends JaLon Blac & Billy Council.

JaLon, a fellow artist and super talented rapper, plugged me back into music while we worked together at a hospital. I had given up on it and he basically nagged me back into it, LOL and I went into the studio for the first time ever and I'm hooked now because of him. Down the road I met Billy and he helped me focus on what I wanted to say in my music and to not just sing to sing. He taught me how to hone in and be about something. Have an impact with my voice and believe that I really CAN do this. It's not a dream but really a reality that's waiting on me to make it happen. He challenged me to be better.

Now all the pieces have fallen together since meeting my musical soul mate in Chazaray Tolbert, he produced my entire first album and understands my musical language and my voice like none other. When we created "Truth Is..." it was magic and nothing short of that. He also introduced me to a pint sized powerhouse in Michelle Latimer, who has gone all out when it comes to pushing my album and me as an artist to the public and media, she's shown me the business side of this game and I would've never seen it before.

I've been so blessed to have so many amazing people walk into my life and have all gone above and beyond to support me in my pursuit of success in this game we call the music industry.

Do you still have that same passion?

Nope. It's unmeasured now. Off the charts. I love music and the hustle more now than ever because I understand it now and it's true power of effecting positive change in people's lives one song, one lyric and one word at a time. I'm passionate about people and about being a song in the soundtrack of their lives.

How have you grown as an artist?

By leaps and bounds. I've grown up and realized that it's not about making all the words rhyme but about speaking to the heart of people and telling my truth. I'm growing with every song and music is making me a better woman and for that I'm thankful to God for giving me this gift, because he knew what would get through to me on my level.

How many songs do you have completed?

Oh God!!! I don't even know now... If I had to guess with all the songs recorded I'd have to say as of right now it's close to 50 but I have 12 on my debut album "Truth Is..." (Shameless plug).

Do you feel artists are making quality albums like in the past or are they just focusing on singles and ringtone sales?

It's nothing like what it was. It's all about what's lucrative now and not what's powerful. It's all about popularity and profit. It's high school the adult edition. Who has the nicest clothes, coolest cars, most money and who is the most outrageously overt. I wish it was about the music but obviously it's not because we all hear some of the music that makes it to the air and I know I'm not the only one who says, "What the what did I just hear??? And you have a record deal??? REALLY!!! C'mon Son!!! I just wish it was music and not the business of creating an illusion and calling it "real music".

What is your favorite Album?

My favorite album in "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill". That album changed me as a person and changed my life as a whole. When I heard her sing, I wanted to be a better person and I've been striving for it ever since.

What is your favorite song?

My favorite song that I've written and sung is called "Yes". It came from a place of feeling broken and alone in my life after dropping out of college but I knew I could fight my way out of it if I truly tried and wiped away the tears.

Where is your favorite place to perform?

In my bathroom in the mirror! LOL, I love singing Adele or Amy Winehouse or India Arie or Jill Scott or Whitney Houston to the top of my lungs with a brush for mic in my robe or PJ's, just having fun and being 16 again :) That's the best stage EVER!

Have you won any awards?

Yes I have. I've won a Macon star. Also the Phuture Fam Toy Drive talent show, tons of open mics and I'm now a 2-time nominee for the Georgia Music Awards in the best R&B female category. I didn't win last year but I'm hoping this year in June when the awards take place, that my outcome if different. I opened for Algebra Blessett this year and that was amazing.

Do you like to do collaborations?

Yes I do like collabos but I believe it can make an album great or break an album by depending too much on other stars to make your album great. So it's a fine line to tow. If done in moderation the outcome can me beautiful.

Who would you like to work with?

Of course Lauryn Hill, need I say more? India Arie because of her sweetness in song, the untouchable Jill Scott, I just wanna breath her air ;) and Erykah Badu because she is truly herself and I respect that deeply. It's so many I can name but those are some of my top choices.

Would you consider yourself being mainstream?

Honestly, no, although if I reach that plateau one day I wouldn't be mad at it. If I make it mainstream it'll be because I sound different, not because I'm the next pop star. That's just not my voice no matter which way you flip it. It would have to be in my destiny. I believe I have what it takes to be something to everyone but if I end up being the industry's best kept successful secret with a few low key Grammys, I'm cool with that, LOL.

What is your favorite music magazine?

I like the music section in Jet, I also like Vibe, The Source and of course IllMuzik.com articles ;)

Will you ever retire?

When you love what you do, never work a day in your life, so why retire if I'm not working ;) I'm just havin' fun doing what I was meant to do and that's sing!

Does going platinum matter to you?

I'd love to, I'd be lying if I said no but will it define me as a success? No. I really just want some little girl to not feel alone because of a song I wrote and sang just for her.

How do you feel about bootlegging?

Can't lie and say I haven't done it myself. Hell, in high school I was a bootlegging connoisseur but as an artist now I see how it killed the art of the album. But I can understand why people do it because artists would charge so much for CD's and the fans fought back with sites like Napster and Limewire and Big Bear, but I think it's an opportunity for artists to be creative and earn back the buyers' (fans) trust.

I think this forces all artists to put their best foot forward and make the fans look and say "you know what? I'm gonna buy that album because that's a quality artist who puts out product worthy of my hard earned dollars", because there's nothing I hate more than buying an album with only 2, maybe 3 good songs on it out of 15 tracks.

Are you the best at what you do in your opinion?

Absolutely, because I give my very best when I do anything. Nobody can do me like me and that's my motto for my life. There's only one Tia Michelle and she is as God made her, one of a kind!

What artists in R&B do you like?

I love a little bit of everyone. I love Jill Scott, India Arie, of course Beyonce, Prince, Sam Cooke, Donny Hathaway, Lalah Hathaway, Amy Winehouse, Erykah Badu, Anthony Hamilton, Cee-Lo And too many to name. I love them because they're genuine to who they are and are great live performers.

What do you like to do when you're not recording?

I like to read and write new music which usually comes from poems, watch TV, I love watching sports, I love to be around my family and be a nerd. I only have a few friends so my circle is tight, it's so small, air could get trapped in it so I love my friends because they are my extended family.

Do we need more artists like your style?

No, I just think we need more artists who are really themselves and not some trumped up gimmicks. We need more originality, more genuine lovers of their crafts and not just fame seekers and media junkies. I want to hear music that's really reflective of who you are and not what you think I wanna hear. I wanna have fun and smile when I hear your music and not feel like I need a bath after poppin' ya album out.

When you perform stuff live, what kind of feedback have you been getting?

It's surprising to me because I'm my worst critic but I've never had a complaint and it's always positive. Fans and supporters constantly tell me I give my all when performing live but for me I'm having fun and I'm aware the whole time that I want to connect with everyone around me, so I'm focused on that.

In terms of the future, will you hit the road anytime soon?

Hopefully I will later this year. That's my goal, to be touring and promoting the album by the end of this year, beginning of next year.

Is there a dream tour collaboration that you have?

Yep. Me, Lauryn Hill, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu and India Arie! Nothing but powerhouses!

Any Shout outs?

I wanna shout out my album "Truth Is..." on amazon for $7.99 (PLUG) just shameless ;)

But really I wanna shout out my family, friends, fans and supporters. I'd love to give thanks to the entire HTP squad! WE A MOVEMENT!!! I wanna thank everybody past, present, and future!!! I love you and watch me work!

If you wanna contact me you can visit me on: