looking to get more into syncing acapellas to my beats

phatbeats

ill o.g.
What are you guys method for finding bpm's of acapellas? I tried that bpm analyzer but it gives you the wrong tempo alot of the time. How do you guys dot it?

O

open mind

i dont know how to find the bpm from vocals but yes i would recommend it to do by ear because even if u find out the right bpm it could be that the acapella dont fit with your instrumental because of the mood or flow of the mc.to make it short.

trust your ears.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I hate to tell you this but I have been doing remixing of songs for awhile, there is not an automatic way to be honest especially if you dont have a straight ahead beat and rhythm, these programs will get you in the ballpark but just as big rob says the flow is a lot, and it sometimes kills me because even the people that sometimes judge remixes cant tell if it is always on , especially with a rapper that either has no consistent timing or flow.....tapping out and using about two bars of the acapella looped can sometimes help you, get the beat going and loop it then put the part of the acapella in there you wanna try and match up, go a little further and take about 4 bars and do it........then after you have a pretty good estimate of the bpm.....make the beat......then play the acapella back from an external input a few times....then I would line everything up in protools or whatever you use....thats about all I can tell you.....but once you get it this close its sometimes a matter of where you align the vocals in relation to the first downbeat, you sometimes need to listen to the original and judge the emcee's inflection or emphasis in relation to the original beat's kick and snare...this can help you out for vocal placement.....

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i usually get the original track, and find the bpm using that, then make the beat and put the acapella with it. the thing is, some mc's don't keep the beat throughout the whole track...i did one track with a scarface acapella...it was on point all the way until after the 1st hook....then all hell broke loose. ran into the same thing with a pac acapella.

O

open mind

finnigan said:
i usually get the original track, and find the bpm using that, then make the beat and put the acapella with it. the thing is, some mc's don't keep the beat throughout the whole track...i did one track with a scarface acapella...it was on point all the way until after the 1st hook....then all hell broke loose. ran into the same thing with a pac acapella.
what was the reason for that?

ToneEsharp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Check out website like this one to find bpms of acapella http://www.bpmdatabase.com there are many different sites that lsit bpms also if your looking for radio release check out the www.promoonly.com go to search and click name of artist or title or both and then when it comes up click on details to get full information

Subconscious

ill o.g.
check out http://www.mixmeister.com/ and get the BPM Analyzer. put the full vocal version or instrumental of the song in it and it will give u the bpm. its usually spot on.

also another thing i do is load the full vocal version of the song i want to remix into my sequencer (Cubase SX 3). then i set the loop at about 4 bars and try to get the beginning of the song looping correctly by adjusting the bpm. once thats done, i check the end of the song with the metronome on to make sure that it stays on point. then i load up the acappella and line up the vocals on both copies. once they are lined up i delete the full version and now i have a perfectly lined up acappella ready for a new beat.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
well all my acapellas that i use come from vinyl and what i will do is take the original beat with the acapella on it and mix it together with the track that i made so it runs smoothly and i will just record the acapella and put it in the right spot over my beat

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
its very simple to just type for example Still DRE BPM in on google and you will come up on countless sites that just have huge lists of popular songs and their BPMs

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigrob said:
what was the reason for that?

sometimes breaks in the beat, pauses for effect, that kinda stuff can mess it up if you just drop the whole accapella on there. its a good idea to chop verses out of the acc and lay em on individually.

RELIC: peep this site:
http://nassau.globat.com/~beatbrokerz.biz/acapella/

best site that ive found. you dont have to sign up or anything like the other annoying places. a lot of garbage tracks on there though.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
got a tap tempo function on your sampler? play the acapella and tap away. this will give you at least somethin to work with.

my all time favourite trick is to:

1) listen to the original and listen for a word which falls dead on a snare.

2) go to your beat, put this same word over your snare.

3) adjust from there till the flow LOCKS into postion. as long as you have this 'anchor' you will eventually find it.

sAfE.

Slamdino

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just starting doing remixes recently on the computer. I normally just do them from my turntables by ear. My parter showed me how simple it was and how i was really spinning my wheels.
1. Get mixmiester software- it lines all your songs up by bpm and what key they start in.
2. Get Acid- hands down i think its the easist thing for remixing it really takes only like 5 min to do it on your own beats. Get the original version of the song you are trying to remix words and all. Beatmatch it so you get the tempo. Line up the accapella with it so the words match. Change the accapella from one shot to beatmatched. Bring in your own beat beatmap so it matches the project tempo and make sure you supply the correct location of the first downbeat and the length of the measure. Thats it- essentially your beat will be the same beat (structure wise) as the original song so it will match up perfectly with the accapella.

Artistix

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
What I do is chop the acapella verse by verse hook by hook. Then get orginal track BPM using fruity loops tap tempo. Next make the beat using any tempo I choose make the first verse then lay down the first verse of acapella on top of the first verse part of the beat. Time stretch to make sure the bars are all locked together. Then I'll play back and make minor adjust ments in moving the accapella part back or fourth to make sure that the beat and acapella is synced perfectedly.