Looking For Hardware to Reduce Lag

Drago Zetić

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 104
I've got a pretty good piano-style keyboard that I'd love to use more, but the lag is killing me (the last two beats I've posted were done completely with the mouse - it's bearable, but nowhere near playing a set of nice keys).

In FL Studio, when the device is set to ASIO4ALL, the reported latency of about 20 ms is actually much lower than what I actually get (I didn't try measuring it, but it's certainly a triple digit number). In the other mode (the regular one), it works fine at around 30 ms (just late enough so that my input isn't off beat), but after a few minutes the sound keeps glitching up (underruns start happening and they just don't stop until I slide the latency to something very high and return it to 30, which just repeats the same problem).

I was told that an audio interface would "tame" the lag, but don't know which price range has the good ones. I don't want to spend over 60 USD because I also have some other stuff to buy before it. I'm currently using internal audio hardware from a 9 year old motherboard, which explains the latency.

Basically, I'm looking for budget models and would like to know if it's worth spending less than $60 on an audio interface.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The audio interface is definitely something you need to focus on first. $60 is cheap though. It would be really hard to find something at that price.

For example, NI's audio interface is $229. If you check Amazon there's plenty on there but you want to get something that's really good. Of course you have a budget, so you need to get what's in your budget, but if you can spend a bit more it would really help you in the long run.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
Have you tried plugging the midi keyboard in other ports? also make sure that the drivers for your midi is also updated. make sure that your computers drivers are also updated. have you also tried playing with the keyboard without effects? is the whole track playing when this happens?
try optimizing your laptop first. make sure that everything is perfect with your current setup before adding anything to it.

If the problem persists, I would definitely recommend getting Focusrite or Komplete Audio.
But since you only have $60 as your budget, I would go with anything that has a midi input.

Good luck!
Peace!

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
I've got a pretty good piano-style keyboard that I'd love to use more, but the lag is killing me (the last two beats I've posted were done completely with the mouse - it's bearable, but nowhere near playing a set of nice keys).

In FL Studio, when the device is set to ASIO4ALL, the reported latency of about 20 ms is actually much lower than what I actually get (I didn't try measuring it, but it's certainly a triple digit number). In the other mode (the regular one), it works fine at around 30 ms (just late enough so that my input isn't off beat), but after a few minutes the sound keeps glitching up (underruns start happening and they just don't stop until I slide the latency to something very high and return it to 30, which just repeats the same problem).

I was told that an audio interface would "tame" the lag, but don't know which price range has the good ones. I don't want to spend over 60 USD because I also have some other stuff to buy before it. I'm currently using internal audio hardware from a 9 year old motherboard, which explains the latency.

Basically, I'm looking for budget models and would like to know if it's worth spending less than $60 on an audio interface.
Have you check the DAW buffer rate?
I know sometime even when I use to use ASIO4ALL even just the setting on that wont help!
Go into your setting on Fl and turn down the sample rate or turn it up!
Once you done that after creating turn it back to its default when exporting!
usually most Daw's are set at 256 sample rate! i know in reason there is a section for this! Not sure where it would be in FL

Also when inputing make sure you have that channel off so sound can come through when monitoring, if that makes sense? I usually go to the channel strip and just move the fader all the way down. It could be that simple at times specially if you getting a delay. I notice even on my thunderbolt interface i still have to go to the channel im recording and move the fader all the way down after doing a level check it still records perfectly but for some reason having that play back fader on causes some delay

these are just some things to check but,

My HONEST advice is to upgrade your sound card interface spend more than $60 bruh or you will fall into the " I need to upgrade" and just spend more money in the long run, might even want to upgrade that computer too!

NEW COMPUTER
NEW INTERFACE
INVEST IN YOURSELF!!!

The fastest solution here!

Hope all works out!!

Juts keep in mind these days of recording and making music your Audio interface is everything!
I wish I new that before I went crazy buying gear! lol

"You can have all the gear in the world but if it's not putting out a good signal, it wont matter how much gear you have"

Drago Zetić

ILLIEN
I've looked at some sub $200 models and I'm wondering if there are any interfaces that support MIDI over an USB port. Most are focused on recording regular audio, which I don't need right now, as I don't yet have a microphone and proper rooms to record in. It could, however, be useful for ripping cassettes, which I'm bound to do one day.

Drago Zetić

ILLIEN
It's a Yamaha DGX-620. They've likely cut the MIDI ports to force customers to buy their (OK, any would work) overpriced USB to MIDI adapter, but also because it wasn't aimed at electronic music composers.
I've had it for about 10 years - it's the keyboard that I've started playing on when I was kid attending music school. I really want to keep it because the keys are nice to play on with varying sensitivity.

Drago Zetić

ILLIEN
I know that and have already connected it to my PC via USB, but the interfaces I've looked at don't have clear MIDI over USB inputs. Specifically, the Scarlett 2i2 only has a USB port for connecting with a computer and that's it. The other inputs are XLR and 6.25 mm.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
But you dont need that? The midi goes over the USB in your keyboard and the audio comes/goes from your audio interface.

So keyboard USB to computer
Audio interface USB to computer

And thats it.

What DP means is that having an audio interface would not strain your computer so much that it would make it lag everytime you play a note on your computer. that is why we recommended an audio interface.

but if the only thing that worries you is the keyboard...definitely go for a midi adapter that would suit your keyboard.

Hope that explains things? :D

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I use (and still use) an mbox 2 mini using the driver for that in FL Studio...I've had that thing for at least 10 years. I'm at 512ms with pretty much zero underruns, using the ASIO driver for Mbox.

It's compatible with Windows 10. Just download the latest drivers from the Avid website.

You're gonna need to spend money on a good audio interface. Don't be cheap with that part. Check for used interfaces on guitar center and sites like ebay/craiglist. since they don't have many moving parts, you can save a few bucks on a used item. Focusrite scarlett is a nice one.

Check your computer specifications, too. Make sure you have your performance set up to performance rather than aesthetics. Try to use 64bit DAW, also......That helps utilize more resources.

members online