live instruments or samplin- u choose

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
ima start usin live instruments although i will not completely eliminate my use of samples .
My first purchase will be an acoustic guita n ama teach myself to play,
i can play piano but im goin to further my skills by buyin a real one maybe in 3yrs when i go to college/university.
Next will be a saxaphone.....next...not sure

da reason why am goin 2 do this is i want to have complete control over da music am makin, with samples it is possible but not as easily.

note- samplin can be as original as playin instruments but i jus realised my love fo playin live instruments,so ama start learnin
I will post my first beat with a live guita in a few weeks, i been practicin at my friends a few chords so when i get mine i shud have learnt da basics

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

You're going to be spending a lot of time getting frustrated trying to learn all those instruments...I've been playing sax for a LONG time, let me assure you that you cannot simply just pick it up and 'learn', a really nice sounding sax costs an awful lot of money as well.

Why not hire people to play the instruments for you instead? I was reading a back issue of EQ magazine (June 2001) the other day, they did an article on Dr. Dre's production techniques...he has a whole army of people to play his instruments for him which he records to tape and later edits to fit the tracks. It's less work for him, he gets the sound he wants, and he rakes in a squillion bucks.

Take care,

Nick

B

BeatTRibe

I agree session players may be the way you want to go if you have the cheddar, but since I play bass, and gtr and a little bit of keyboards it's easier for me to do it myself rather than trying to tell someone else how to vibe to my tracks. I like to use samples for the icing and the sound of live instruments and samples mixed.
I never regretted spending the time to have the flexibilty of knowing how to play an instrument. I think it carries through when I play a sampler or make lame attempts at being a turntablist. But v is obviously right, it takes years to accomplish.

D

Devan Tha Dogen

I'm going to college to get a degree in jazz performance and there are so many good musicians working next to me it's ridiculous. Anyone of these bass, guitar, keys, flute, sax etc. players could lay down whatever you need in a quick minute. I'm sure they would do it for a very meager amount if not for free. Give it a try, couldn't hurt.