Let's talk about fake-ass bullshit "Hip Hop"

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
HAHHAAH just saw this video from Hopsin:

Now this is clearly going to spark a big debate, but here's my 2 cents:

What he's saying is very on point. Now, I know not ALL artists today are like this, but you have to admit that a lot are. And it's not just mainstream artists, it's even local ones that are just starting out, and that's a problem.

I could go on and on about how the music industry has fucked shit up over the years to the point where "Hip Hop" or "Rap" music is barely recognizable, but it's been debated to death. On the other hand, this video is pointing out that there's a big problem.

To some, I would sound like a bitter old Hip Hop head if I were to compare today's music to that of the 80's and 90's, but no matter what you think, it's a valid argument. If you look back and all the big hits from those years, you have to admit that there were TONS of hits during that era. The shit today doesn't even compare.

Now at this point, some may argue that there are lots of big hits today. True, they are "hits" in the sense that they've had a lot of online plays and downloads, but that doesn't equal success. A successful and popular song is one that can be played 20 years from now and still get heads nodding. Like if you were to put on Wu-Tang's "Cream" today, everyone would be feeling it. In 20 years, put on a song from Young Thug and you definitely will not get the same response.

Part of the problem is that first of all, there are way too many artists today. If you have too many, eventually the shit will get watered down, just like what's happening now. The other issue is, of course, money. The artists from the 80s and 90s were trying to make money too, but that wasn't necessarily their driving force like today. Don't believe me? Then why are today's artists always talking about money and flaunting their status in their videos?

Yes, there were plenty of rappers back in the day flaunting their "riches" with the gold rope chains and stacks of cash, along with models galore, but we all knew it was part of their image. Whereas today they try to make us think it's real, and that will eventually affect the up-and-comers through their image and music.

So the world keeps on spinning.....

What's your 2 cents?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
i think it's much simpler than that. the problem is lack of creativity. everybody's doing the same shit. there's no variety...at least not in the mainstream. as long as you try to listen to mainstream radio/artists, you're going to be pissed.
That's a good point. But like I was saying, I think because of what everyone is seeing, it has an affect on other artists, so they do the same thing. It becomes a vicious circle.

River Cruz

Battle Points: 6
I agree with you @Fade, people imitate what they see works. About a year ago I use to produce for a high school friend who has a perfect approach, lyrically and stylistically to boom bap/ sampled hip hop. We stopped working when he moved away and I just got a hold of him on Twitter and saw that he changed his style to Trap music and to those wack ass half sung hooks and he wasn't even really spitting on the track, It was such a disappointment but oh well lol

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I agree with you @Fade, people imitate what they see works. About a year ago I use to produce for a high school friend who has a perfect approach, lyrically and stylistically to boom bap/ sampled hip hop. We stopped working when he moved away and I just got a hold of him on Twitter and saw that he changed his style to Trap music and to those wack ass half sung hooks and he wasn't even really spitting on the track, It was such a disappointment but oh well lol
LOL that's terrible! I find it odd though, especially for a rapper. You'd think they would stick to what they know.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
LOL that's terrible! I find it odd though, especially for a rapper. You'd think they would stick to what they know.
Nope, if they are hungry enough, they'll stick to what works... unfortunately.

I went to an hip hop club a couple of weeks back (friend's birthday) shit was TERRIBLE... we went to another club were we knew the DJ instead (En Cachette, on St-Denis, for the Montrealers).

but my point is, the music of our generation could'nt really work with the generation of today. Not at all... And trust me, as a DJ, I tried it... even some of the songs "we" consider bangers recieved a lukewarm reaction from the crowd. Had to mix crap Trap music most of the night... they loved it, but it was a nightmare for me.

members online