Layering Samples?

mod_m@tr!xx

Beatmaker
Lately i have been getting better and improving my production game, and sampling a lot more. My question is how do you find the sound you hear in a sample and layer it to be the perfect sound ? In example the song Bryson Tiller - Set You Free (Prod. By Ayo) Ayo layers that high pitch sample with a perfect pitched and sounding synth in the chorus. How do I get to that level?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well for me I basically just go by ear. Most of the time I layer samples but not to make it sound like one sound, but rather to just have a bunch of samples in my beat. Other times I'll have samples and then play a synth on top, but again, I just go by ear.

If you know what note the sample is in, then it makes it easier of course to add a synth because then you can just find the right note, but with samples it's just whatever goes good with each other.

Take a look at the Large Pro video and basically he's just playing records while his beat is going as he builds it up (around the 6:00 mark):

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Thanks Fade helps a lot.
No problem. I mean, sometimes I play samples over other samples and the shit just doesn't fit and it gets frustrating, so there's not much I can do. If you're blessed to have amazing ears and know the exact note of something then it will be a lot easier. I think if you also stick to the same style of samples, like if you're sampling only Soul type of songs then it should be okay. But if you try to mash Soul and something obscure, you'll probably have a problem.