Just getting started

Rogers

What's up everybody? My name is Jake Rogers, I'm a 19 year old college kid that lives in Ann Arbor. I'm wanting to get into producing and beat making, and have no experience in it, but I've finally decided to give it a shot. I am however, a big music fan. I love Wu-Tang, Tribe, Gang Starr, Public Enemy, Jay-Z, but I also listen to some Kendrick, Mac Miller, Chris Webby, Drake, starting to get into a little Odd Future and a little Childish Gambino, but who knows if that will stick.

Anyway, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to production, but I'm hoping I can pick up a few pointers on actually getting started. I do have a decent amount of musical knowledge and know a little bit about theory which I picked from playing bass for a few years. I've always been so interested in this but never have really tried it... until now!

So, get at me. Any recommended programs, tips, anything helpful would be appreciated. Hopefully I can stick with this and become a regular member of this forum.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Welcome to IllMuzik!

There's really a lot of stuff to check out on here. I know it's hard to go through it all, but if you search, you should find lots of info.

Is there anything in particular you're looking for? Do you have any software or equipment?

Rogers

Currently I'm just doing some reading up on it all. Trying to get a general idea of what to do. I don't have any software or equipment yet.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Check the different sections here in the forums, plus also the Articles in the menu.

I have Maschine, so of course I recommend that, but you could also do all software. There's FL Studio, Ableton, Reason, etc.

I think Maschine might be a big outlay for a beginner.
If you are serious about making music then yeah go with it.
Personally Id say try some demo's of software to find what suits you first before committing to anything.
At least try Reason, Ableton, FLStudio, Cubase. To get some practice in first.
Unless you are a natural, making music isnt the simplest thing in the world. It takes a lot of patience and knock backs.
Just stick with it and you will always improve. Practice makes perfect.
At least you found illmuzik, thats a great start.