Is This A Form of Jacking?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
If someone steals your beat and uses it...thats 'jacking'!

My question is...what if someone takes your entire album and posts it on a site as a leaked album? I don't even know if lion is aware of this but I stumbled across his album posted HERE. I see this in 2 ways...

1. Good promotion...for obvious reasons.
2. What if lion didn't release it as a free release?

Personally I'd be pissed either way but that's just me...what if it were you? Would you feel jacked?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well that's always an issue. A lot of us will use "free" software to make our beats then get mad when someone shares our album in an illegal way.

It's true, it's good promotion and that's a big thing for people like us, but on the other hand you have the whole stealing issue. One could argue that an album from Jay-Z getting passed around online is no big deal because he's got bucketloads of cash, and for us we need the money.

IMO, if I'm selling my album and yet it gets passed around illegally, then ya I'd be upset because I'm missing out on potential sales. But I do believe that TRUE fans of my music would support me by buying it.

If however, someone STEALS my music and uses it as their own, well that's a completely different story.

But to share my work online, it all depends on the circumstances I guess.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Its theft/jacking/etc but, I wouldnt sweat it at this stage. This is the recognition stage, we need all the eyes and ears we can get right now. That money would be nice, but its not realistic to expect growth in a market place thats used to a different model other than free.

Wasnt the Smash Bros album pirated on torrent a couple thousand times? Those are all eyes that they wouldnt have gotten without the "Jacking"

If however, someone STEALS my music and uses it as their own, well that's a completely different story.

This is the jacking that needs a response.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I don't remember it happening to the Smash Bros but I don't doubt it for a second, those cats were/are beast! Them dudes made some killer ish!

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I remember a post about it, it was some russian site or something.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This isn't anything I'm sweating at all. Ironically I'm talking to an Ad Agency ATM.

Maybe I should call 'em and tell them, I'm good people is blowing my ish up already. LMAO

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I was thinking of setting my own work loose in a couple torrents as a form of promotion.
Ideas? Opinions?

I've though about doing that long ago. Problem is, unless you get put up on the blogs and scene sites people would have to know you and specifically be looking for you. Basically you'd be at square one, 'how to get people to your works and listening to you'