Interviews Interview With Producer Gyal

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
producergyal.jpg

Being the only active female IllMuzik member, Producer Gyal was able to beat out all of her opponents in our latest Battle That! Competition. She took the time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions. Read on...

Do you think/feel like there's a unique feminine touch in your music?

Um, I never thought about it actually. People do say that I have a special sound. Personally I don't hear it. It's true that I use a lot of smooth instruments so maybe that makes it sound feminine? I don't know. If people can feel it and call it feminine I really don't mind. My sound is very R&B... for now.

What's your main goal in life?

I prayed a lot about that. I'm presently in school. I'm studying to be a social worker and thinking of many other fields in tutoring. But honestly, I know that I won't be happy doing that for a living. I'm doing this to have something to fall on and make my parents happy (LOL). But, these past couple of years God has given me a talent that I developed. Ever since I was young I wanted to be a pianist. I never took any formal training and somehow I can play almost anything by ear. Therefore, I feel that my calling is definitely something to do with music whether it be producing, arranging or even writing.

Would you like your future boyfriend/husband to be involved with music as well?

When I was young, my idea of a dream companion was someone that made me happy, who would be my best friend and be there for me regardless of what he chose to do in life. Naturally, being involved in music the way I am and having this burning passion in my soul for it, it would be ideal if that person who I described also had a musical talent or at least the same burning passion for it.

Would you encourage more women to get into producing music?

In the past I have tried to encourage many of my girlfriends to produce but they don't even bother. I think to do this you have to have that desire, focus and passion. I know females that are musicians or singers, but none have the discipline to sit in front of the computer and compose anything. So yes I would encourage more women to get into producing music, because it is so much fun!!! I really don't know how the Hip-Hop game would be like if there were many female producers. This would be very interesting.

Do you get support from your surroundings?

Yes I do. My family is a great support system. Everyone pitches in with great input and motivation. I must say that I'm blessed because they have always been there even when I was even more wack than I am now (LOL) and starting out. In the beginning, my surroundings consisted of friends who were producers themselves. After a short while, they expressed to me how impressed they were with the ease I displayed in transitioning from one style of music to the next. I also recently got a lot of professional and spiritual support from key people who were doing it really big in the industry. So, despite some negative direction from others that said this wouldn't make me any money or be a career, I chose to ignore them and keep it moving. Trust me, God knows how many times I wanted to drop it and quit.

Describe your music. What kind of sounds do you use?

I use very ambient sounds. But I find that in almost anything I select to use, it's always a fresh, and new experience in choosing the movement of my arrangements. I hear it, and then I do it. It's very hard of explain (LOL). Using the smooth sounds, I do make my beats sound more commercial and R&Bish. The mood of my tracks will change in the future as I choose other types of sounds, but my style will be the same.

If you could change your sex, would you prefer to become a male? What are your most interesting experiences as a female?

I use to think that being a man was probably easier than being a woman and breaking into this industry. Later I realized that, even though this is a male dominated business it's all about your talent and hustle. It doesn't matter if you're either a man or a woman. If you're hungry to succeed and you have the goods, you will get noticed.

I enjoy being a girl. Men often complain about how we nag, complain and become sensitive about everything, but you need us. Period (LOL). My best experience would probably have to be when a guy says 'NO a girl didn't produce that' LOL.

Your personal outlook: what's TRUE LOVE? Does sex play a significant part in a healthy relationship?

How does this relate to music again? LOL well, my opinion of true love is a feeling towards a person or even a thing that is genuine. Something that is not colored by distraction. In my life right now, my True Love is MUSIC. Music and I have such a healthy relationship, imagine the number of kids that we will have together!!! LOL.

How's IllMuzik? Is it the ULTIMATE Hip-Hop community online?

Definitely. I have met many talented people who have both inspired and challenged me to be a better beatmaker (like Afriquedeluxe: 3X Beat This! Champion]. Fade has created a great site and I congratulate him on it. It is also the only Hip-Hop community online that I am a part of. Like StraDivaRius would say, "Montreal in the building!"

In your opinion, who are the most SPECIAL members? The knowledgeable ones? The best beatmakers?

As I said earlier, I have met many talented beatmakers. If I can shout out a few people I would say StraDivaRius, Classic, Guevara, Tricky Spinz, Cold truth, Holmz, Qwerty, Chedda, Stresswon, Streetwize and BigD!! Those people usually bring some heat. I also have a lot of respect for people that have their own style in here. Even if it's not my style, I have soooo much respect for people like Wings, Mercury Waters, Philsiarri and Clev, just to name a few. Indeed, these guys are great in what they do. So really, they all are special to me. I can't name everybody here so please don't feel left out!

I know there's some new people on the site that are so dope. They appeared on the IllMuzik radio and on the Battle That! Competition. I won't name them. They will have to come out and be active on the site so people will notice them!

BUT, there has been one very close friend who I look up to on here. He has been such an inspiration to me personally. Watching him do what a lot of producers here dream of doing and seeing him have success in the music business, I feel like I'm succeeding also through him. His name is Supa'Produza (LOL). I know many people have asked who Supa really is. All I can say is that despite all of his success, he's not Supa'Produza to me. He's a great listener, speaker, role model, influence and a great friend. He is truly an angel sent down to me. (No we are not dating LOL).

Can you try to analyze me and my character? Who's Wings Of An Angel, as you see it� What about my music?

Well well, you had to ask a personal question concerning you, huh? (LOL). I have a lot of respect for you. As you already told me, our music is connected somehow. We don't like the same type of music, but we love each other's sound. I love the way you play with strings. Everybody knows that you're really good at it. I have been a member of IllMuzik for 1 year and, 2 months and it may not have been a lot, but I could without a doubt say that you are special. You are SO kind with everyone. You CARE so much and LOVE to help people on IllMuzik! I never saw an ounce of anger in you, even in difficult times. You're always there with many useful articles in the forum. Bottom line, you really have Wings of an Angel. I respect you.

[TOO] Many women get sexually abused throughout their lives. What would you suggest/say to those poor women? What's your viewpoint on this issue? Has our society become a dangerous place for women? Do you think that it's possible to have a normal life after such an experience?

I don't think there's any existent word possible to ease up what they are going through. We live in a world where violence and abuse are dominant. It isn't fair and yes it is very scary. Their lives will be completely changed. It will be hard for them to have a nice vision of life. That's why everyday we have to look up to God for love and protection.

You are being sent to a desert island with only one ILLMUZIK member for company. Who do you choose?

LOL... I would take Supa cuz he's hilarious and could probably make a banger beat with 2 coconuts a seashell and bamboo LOL, but he's too busy anyway LOL. This question is almost impossible to answer because there are so many great people on here... but if I had to pick someone who's available (LOL) I would probably pick the guy called "God" in the forum, because I wonder who the 'hell' he is.... OR... I would probably ask Nigma and Storm Element (the other 2 girls on the site) to join me.

You told me that you're only using Cool Edit Pro and Fruity Loops - do you use any hardware? If not, do you plan on buying any hardware gear soon?

Even though I don't use any external hardware like keyboards I feel that I really don't have to go there just yet. I thought about it a lot and the money is there, but right now I really want to concentrate on just becoming better and learning the software the best I can.

How did you find IllMuzik? And do you consider it your "home"?

I found IllMuzik by doing a search on google for a producer community. Once I began to look over the site I became more and more interested in what I saw. At first I was hesitant about posting anything because of my English. For those of you that don't know, I live in Canada and my first language is French. But, after speaking to Fade a few times, I became comfortable and confident to just register and post on my first thread. And so here I am. I haven't left since. I remember the first thread that I started when I introduced myself... Damn that was funny. You can go look for it, there are many posts on here. I felt quite welcomed. And OUI, IllMuzik is my sweet home.

How does it feel being the only active female member on IllMuzik?

I sometimes feel weird because of the language that most guys use concerning females. When I read that women are referred to as bitches, hoes and sluts, that offends me... but what can I say. I have to accept the way guys speak to each other. It is also hard sometimes for me to have my own place. Most of them don't like R&B so they don't bother listening to my stuff. It is sad... because I think it is important to be musically opened. But hey, I won't start that debate again. But other than that, it's cool being the 'girl' on the site. I know that I'm not the only one though. They are just not active. Anyway, as long as everyone is cool with me I'm cool with them.

Winning the Battle That! Competition - how did it feel?

OH MY GOD. What's funny was that I had the worst week of my life during that time. My Internet didn't work, my monitor broke, I had midterms and it was just crazy. I couldn't hear the battles at home. I had to go to my friend's house to do that. And because my time was so hectic, I didn't even get to produce new tracks for the competition. I had to use all of my old beats. "Really Old Beats". In my mind I wasn't going to win. So of course I would scream of excitement each time I advanced in the competition. I almost cried when I came home late that night to find out that I won the battle. I was so sure that I was not going to make it to round 3. When I won, I felt like Randy, Paula and Simon of American Idol stared at me and said: Gyal, you're going to Hollywood!!!! Ahaha! The battle was so exciting!! I cant wait for the day where there will be 60 contestants. It's gonna be so Crazy!!! (By the way, Holmzini/Guevara you guys scared me... For real... LOL). Yes, I'm so happy.

How and when did you get into making music? Who/what inspired you?

Well, I dated this guy who was a beatmaker. He introduced me to this new way of making music in April 2000. It was like a birthday gift to me. I learned the basics by just watching him. After that the rest was history. Then, a friend by the name of Decagone influenced me. He introduced me to Rap production. He was at that time a member of the group 'Principal of Dominoes'. It is because of him that I made up my AKA on IllMuzik 'Producer GyaL'. He called all his homegirls 'Gyal' like a pure Jamaican. I always liked it.

Finally, I have to say Missy Elliot has really inspired me. I remember the first time I heard about her. It was on MC Lyte's single "Cold Rock A Party". That song was so crazyyyy!!!! This single is my baby because I was 16 at that time. I thought she was so funny!!! And then, I started to see her in almost everyone's video that I liked. I was like 'Wow' she's good and she's everywhere!!! SWV, Total, Aaliyah, Gina Thompson, Nicole Ray and many more. Damn I fell in love with this kind of R&B. When I started to see Missy's video, like "Beep Beep 911", "Can't Stand The Rain" or "Sock It To Me", that girl impressed me. She was different and reaaallly funny! She always knew how to keep my attention because she was so unpredictable. Her unpredictability was so successful. Missy is for me unbelievable even today. SHE IS SUPA DUPA FLY!.

Name your top 10 songs at the moment:
  • Floetry "Possibilities"
  • (Tie) Jay-Z "Encore" & Mobb Deep "Got It Twisted"
  • Twista "Overnight Celebrity"
  • Wyclef "Pistach"
  • Corneille "Reves De Star"
  • India Arie "The Truth"
  • Alicia Keys ALL her albums. Get it!!!!!
  • Wayne Wonder "Bounce Along"
  • Norah Jones "More Than This"
  • Lauryn Feat. Mary J Blige "I Used To Love Him"
What do you think of the "bling-bling" era of rap music that is going on now?

I think the bling-bling style will ultimately change very soon. A lot of key figures in Rap like Jay-Z who is now CEO of Def Jam, will set mature standards and a more polished and sophisticated image for the rap game. Or at least we're hoping.

Have you ever worked with MC's or any other type of artist? (Producer, DJ)

Yes I've worked with a couple of very talented MCs here in Canada already, Mymz and Kensei (Don't forget these names, trust me). I would love to work with more female artists because they just inspire me. I really need to take this moment to shout out 2 very hot producer friends of mine that are not on IllMuzik, 1man and Roby. I admire them so much.

Finally, if I may say it, I will hopefully be working with some big names in the 'States' in the very near future (God Willing).

If a big name artist was to ask you to give them a beat by tomorrow, would you use something you've already created? Or would you make a beat from scratch?

Well my school and work schedule always made it difficult for me to make new beats from scratch. Today, I officially finished my semester and I'll go back to school next September. I need this time for myself to focus on me and my music. 2005 will be a good adventure. So yes, to answer your question, I guess it would depend if I have something dope laying around. It also depends on what kind of beat this artist is looking for. But honestly, I would work my butt off from scratch instead of using something already made. But right now, at this moment, I'm not ready because I'm still in the learning process to be SO READY.

Any shoutouts you'd like to give?

I always put God first in everything that I do now. Let me say thanks to Him because He stayed with me through my ups and down. Also, big shout out to Fadeeeeee for being awesome. This site has really made me smile so many times. It has also made it possible for me to meet amazing people from around the world who are great to me. Thank you man. Thanks for your questions Wings. They were so cool!! Thanks to the other moderators, Cope, Freak, Afrique and Cold for this awesome harmony in the forum.

I would like to say big up to my cousins in the States, especially Jean-Claude!!!! This guy is the author of my logo. He is so blessed with his drawing talent. I love you cuz! I would like to say thanks to my cousins and dear friends Kensei, Marv, Mymz, Sheb, babygirl4016, Hunter and Hela!! These people have really helped me to become a better person today.

StraDivaRius for your listening!!! I'll never forget it. I'd like to shoutout all the members of IllMuzik that have been so supportive to me and to all the haters as well (love you-mua). Finally I will have to give a big shoutout to Supa'Produza, not only for being so Supa, but because you have and continue to believe in me cold-heartedly despite everything. (Tu es le meilleur!!)

ALL OF YOU ROCK!

God bless you all, ProducerGyal.