Interviews Interview With Kentucky Producer Johnnie Nichols

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
An up-and-coming producer from Kentucky, sharing his thoughts on computer recording, and tells us about his future plans.

Tell us a bit about BISHOP, the producer?

Just a young dude tryin to do it, feel me? I'm into so many different types of music it gets sickening. I try to make beats that totally tip the scale in reference to what is out already. I don't want to do a Just Blaze or Red Spyda track, I want people to look at Samethang like, "Damn they doin it", ya dig?

Where are you from?

From a small town called Madisonville, KY. Only gangsta's and rednecks down where I'm from.... It's all love tho. I'm straight country homie, fo sho! But now I stay in Indianapolis.

What's the music scene like there?

Alotta original cats man... See we have no outlets to do anything so we gotta make our own sound.

Do you produce other forms of music besides Hip-Hop? If not, do you plan to?

I'm learning the complexities of Jazz as far as chords, and progressions. But generally I do Rap, R&B, Alternative Rock, and Gospel. Mostly, tho? Rap and R&B.

What sort of recording setup do you have?

I use a fully upgraded MPC2000, Tech 12's, Motif 6, Korg M1 (for vintage sounds), thousands of crates, Nano Bass module, and creativity.

And I want this expressed... I do not use no kinda Fruity Loops, no kinda computer software or none of that mess. I don't respect that. That's not production to me. And I don't care if 9th Wonder uses it and got a placement with Hova, that whole idea is garbage and is hurting production and musicianship!

How long have you been producing?

I have been producing for about 14 years now. Just around the way for my boys but took it to heart as a career about 5 years ago. Still waiting for something to pop... LOL!

johnnienichols_big2.gif

Have you MC'd over any of your own beats?

Yeah... Actually we have a single that is hittin radio called, "That Type Uh Chick". It's doin some things here in the Midwest already and the sad part is I'm not a rapper, dawg. How real is that? LOL.

What do you look for when you sample?

The feel. The instruments being used. How I can manipulate the sounds. Very rarely do I loop. I'd rather chop the hell out of it for the sounds and make my own grooves and melodies. Looping is cool but I prefer to take the road less traveled I guess. But don't get me wrong, I will loop every once in a while.

What do you prefer to drink while at the studio, Water, Alcohol, or Soda?

Pepsi, nothing more... I'm addicted.

How much vinyl do you have?

Thousands of pieces from all over the world... fo real.

Mainstream, Underground, or neither, where would you like to be, and why?

Mainstream. I want to make that Timbaland money. But I will work with who eva. That's what's up.

What are some of the things you do right before you get on stage or in front of a big crowd?

Only one thing patna, pray! Christ comes before everything I do. Period. It's only because of him, is any of this possible for me.

Where are you trying to take Hip Hop?, and Why does it need to go there?

I'm tryin to make the music of Hip-Hop more creative again. Break new plains. Hip-Hop needs to be rejuvenated. Needs to go in a different direction. Something refreshing.

What's the first thing you do when you start a new beat?

Get a focused direction on what kind of track I want to make. Then dig and find those elements, whether in the Motif or in the crates.

What do you think of today's mainstream producers?

I feel that they all are doing their thing right now. You got Red Spyda, Chad Hamilton, Just Blaze, Jazze Pha, Midi Mafia, Rick Rock, Havoc, etc... Everybody is carving their own nitch. I digs that.

Any shoutouts you'd like to give?

Yeah, shout out to Madd Records, Surf Records, The Lott Mobb, Sweathawg Gang, Twan Journey, Bigg Mont, Bigg Mal, Lefty Gunz, and all of Naptown and Kentucky... It's on now baby!! LOL! Be on the look out for Samethang Entertainment on the credits of some of your favorite artists real soon. I'm out. Samethang!!!!!!!!!!!

members online