I'm not sensitive.

GoodShot

I mentioned in my intro that mixing and mastering I believe are my biggest weaknesses. As the title says I'm not sensitive so please feel free to critisize anything in the music. I'll feel more comfortable rating other people's beats once mine have been ripped apart first anyway.

I have 3 songs I feel are the most complete.

They don't really have titles I just typed something random as thier titles when creating my soundcloud account.
I've provided soundcloud links.

If I was to critisize myself I'd say they're mastered too quiet and too bass heavy, they really shake my car when I play them while driving, but then a lot of the pro music I listen to does. I don't know if I take the bass a bit too far sometimes though.

Soundcloud

Youtube

Last edited:

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
I mentioned in my intro that mixing and mastering I believe are my biggest weaknesses. As the title says I'm not sensitive so please feel free to critisize anything in the music. I'll feel more comfortable rating other people's beats once mine have been ripped apart first anyway.

I have 3 songs I feel are the most complete.

They don't really have titles I just typed something random as thier titles when creating my soundcloud account.
I've provided soundcloud links.

If I was to critisize myself I'd say they're mastered too quiet and too bass heavy, they really shake my car when I play them while driving, but then a lot of the pro music I listen to does. I don't know if I take the bass a bit too far sometimes though.

Soundcloud

Youtube

Hot:
Sounds really EDM oriented, particularly pre-drop in the intro and the bass. Sounds pretty good though. I'd say that of anything, the hats and snare are a bit too quiet, and the bass is quite a bit too loud. I'm also not a huge fan of the flute you used. It feels out of place to me. I like the melody, it feels very familiar, but it works. I think at the very least changing it up a bit would do it justice. The orchestral stab really works with this one. I think thats the highlight of the beat. I think above all else what this beat could really use is some soundstage work. Doing some work on panning would do it a huge justice. As a final critique I'm not huge on the pulsing bass. It sounds fine, i think its just a matter of preference. Still overall its a cohesive beat that sounds good, just could use some polish.

Down It:
Simple but pretty nice. I like most of the sound choice in this one. Same thing as hot, however, it could really use some panning and polish. It also feels a bit video-gamey. Not a bad thing, but its definitely a stylistic choice that could be a detriment. The drop with the 808 at 1:36 is really satisfying. The mix on this one is way better than the last one as well. Not perfect, but more than adequate.

SOB:
This is so far my favorite by a long shot. This one sounds distinctly hip hop. I like the panned snare first and formost. The melodies are also nice, and your orchestral stabs, like the first one are on point. The mix is ok, but I think the bass is also a bit loud comparitively to the rest of the instruments. I don't mind where the percussion is sitting as it is now, but the rest could be brought forward a bit in the mix. Doing that might result in need for tweaking the percussion to fit, but I think it would do it justice. In comparison to the other two it sounds significantly quieter to me. I don't think its a case of over all volume, i think that its loud enough in some frequency ranges and not others. My final critique otherwise is that the entire beat doesn't have much for variety. Theres some one shot stuff, but I don't feel like it has defined sections. I think you have something here, but it could use some big changeups to elevate it to something much greater than what you have currently. The same could be said about the other two, but this one particularly needs it.

Having said that I need to get a set of 8" monitors because my eris e5xt's don't accurately portray bass well enough, and my headphones overpronounce it. I used to make up for it with my RTiA9 tower speakers, but It's not a perfect solution to begin with and my reciever for them shit the bed the other day and any time I play an 808 it shuts itself off to stop itself from frying. My ability to hear mixes, particularly with bass has been stunted significantly so take my mixing critique with a grain of salt. Theres plenty of people much better at mixing than I am here anyway.

Last edited:

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
I like your beats the mixes need a little work but still good though. One thing I did notice on the YouTube beats is your snares seem a little low on each. They would really benefit with more present snares

GoodShot

I like your beats the mixes need a little work but still good though. One thing I did notice on the YouTube beats is your snares seem a little low on each. They would really benefit with more present snares
When I first ever started making music I would listen on my headphones and it would all be fine but then play it in my car and the snares would really crack way too loud, I've developed this phobia of snare/clap loudness ever since.
It's just due to a few different circumstances I can't play music loud, especially at the time I normally make music so I'm stuck with using headphones most of the time.

GoodShot

Hot:
Sounds really EDM oriented, particularly pre-drop in the intro and the bass. Sounds pretty good though. I'd say that of anything, the hats and snare are a bit too quiet, and the bass is quite a bit too loud. I'm also not a huge fan of the flute you used. It feels out of place to me. I like the melody, it feels very familiar, but it works. I think at the very least changing it up a bit would do it justice. The orchestral stab really works with this one. I think thats the highlight of the beat. I think above all else what this beat could really use is some soundstage work. Doing some work on panning would do it a huge justice. As a final critique I'm not huge on the pulsing bass. It sounds fine, i think its just a matter of preference. Still overall its a cohesive beat that sounds good, just could use some polish.

Down It:
Simple but pretty nice. I like most of the sound choice in this one. Same thing as hot, however, it could really use some panning and polish. It also feels a bit video-gamey. Not a bad thing, but its definitely a stylistic choice that could be a detriment. The drop with the 808 at 1:36 is really satisfying. The mix on this one is way better than the last one as well. Not perfect, but more than adequate.

SOB:
This is so far my favorite by a long shot. This one sounds distinctly hip hop. I like the panned snare first and formost. The melodies are also nice, and your orchestral stabs, like the first one are on point. The mix is ok, but I think the bass is also a bit loud comparitively to the rest of the instruments. I don't mind where the percussion is sitting as it is now, but the rest could be brought forward a bit in the mix. Doing that might result in need for tweaking the percussion to fit, but I think it would do it justice. In comparison to the other two it sounds significantly quieter to me. I don't think its a case of over all volume, i think that its loud enough in some frequency ranges and not others. My final critique otherwise is that the entire beat doesn't have much for variety. Theres some one shot stuff, but I don't feel like it has defined sections. I think you have something here, but it could use some big changeups to elevate it to something much greater than what you have currently. The same could be said about the other two, but this one particularly needs it.

Having said that I need to get a set of 8" monitors because my eris e5xt's don't accurately portray bass well enough, and my headphones overpronounce it. I used to make up for it with my RTiA9 tower speakers, but It's not a perfect solution to begin with and my reciever for them shit the bed the other day and any time I play an 808 it shuts itself off to stop itself from frying. My ability to hear mixes, particularly with bass has been stunted significantly so take my mixing critique with a grain of salt. Theres plenty of people much better at mixing than I am here anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, I listened to some of your music and it sounds very professional to me at least.

You spotted the panning problem, it's because I only recently got panning to work in FL studio, for some reason I had it set to mono, I don't know if I switched it to this years back when I was making music then or what, I have no idea how that happened.

Structuring and adding variation is definitely something I need to look at.
There's some types of rap/hiphop where there's a definitely lack of variation and structure and it seems like it's done on purpose and it doesn't sound bad because of the vocals going over it.

Hot: I like the flute, once the drop comes in the balance is quite off, as mentioned the snares are far too low. The violins are too loud, the bass sounds okay to me, the kick seems to be at the right level. I think if you put some of the synths and strings further back in the mix and brought up the snare then the balance would be a bit better.

Down It: This track has a much better balance, then the piano came in far too loud. My only suggestion on this one is lower the volume of that piano by a fair amount

SOB: Once again the snares are a bit low on this one. Everything else seems okay though. Best one so far.

There's some types of rap/hiphop where there's a definitely lack of variation and structure and it seems like it's done on purpose and it doesn't sound bad because of the vocals going over it.
This is true if you are making beats for rappers, but if you plan on entering battles, those kind of beats arent usually enough to set them apart above others.
Also, its easy to get stuck into the rut of making 4 and 8 bar loops then not knowing where to go from there, try to force yourself to separate the hooks from the verses, add layers that define the structure of the song, it gets easier with time, so force yourself until it becomes second nature.

Ive subbed to your soundcloud, if you need mixing advice I might be able to help, so reach out if needs be.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
I don't think the mixes are too bad.

In your first two tracks I noticed the snare/clap is quite low and needs to be louder. And also your hat rolls were very 'in the back' too.

Other than that, from a mix perspective, you might want to 'gritty' up the beats a little. Even if it's just clean but strong compression, or light saturation. just to glue them a bit, as they're very clean and clinical.

I don't think your mixes are bass heavy at all. Bass seems reasonable.

Music wise they sound like quite cool catchy vibes, I'm feeling it. You ain't far off, keep at it. On the right path!

Hot : builds nicely, for me the vocal sample comes in at the right time but just sounded out of place. A better vocal for me, other than that dope, I like the string and wind instruments used.

Down it : Nice sinister vibe with bass and piano. As previously mentioned the piano is a bit loud in the mix.

Sob : nice panning for starters, overall solid beat. A change up or something would help keep the beat interesting as only criticism for me is too repetitive.

Nice work, keep them coming
(y)