Ieee Float Vs Pcm... Wtf?

• beat this! voting starts in...

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I did a search a came up with nothing on this matter. My current setting for my multi -track program is 48,oooHz 32 Bit Stereo IEEE Float. ( and I just upped it to that today) The highest setting is 96,oooHz 32 Bit Stereo IEE Float or PCM.

Am I using the right setting?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
For program play back, which is usually based on your sound card, use the highest your sound card will allow (better sound quality). Now, for transfering sounds or samples to and from one program to the next, it's depends on what that "program" will allow.

For example: I have a digi001 sound card. I can only handle 48khz playback at 32 bit pcm or IEEE stereo float.

I sample with acid pro 6 and the "program" can render at 96khz IEEE stereo float. I usually inport my samples from acid to recycle. If I redener at 96khz IEEE stereo float recycle won't be able to read the file, but if I render at 48khz IEEE stereo float it will.

Now if you plan on burning a disc to listen to on any device outside of your pc you better do it at 44.1khz 16 bit. Most playback sources, outside of your computer, will not read the disc if you do. 44.1khz 16 bit is CD quality industry standard!

Just depends on what you're doing at the time. Experiement to see what your programs can and can not read.

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
For program play back, which is usually based on your sound card, use the highest your sound card will allow (better sound quality). Now, for transfering sounds or samples to and from one program to the next, it's depends on what that "program" will allow.

For example: I have a digi001 sound card. I can only handle 48khz playback at 32 bit pcm or IEEE stereo float.

I sample with acid pro 6 and the "program" can render at 96khz IEEE stereo float. I usually inport my samples from acid to recycle. If I redener at 96khz IEEE stereo float recycle won't be able to read the file, but if I render at 48khz IEEE stereo float it will.

Now if you plan on burning a disc to listen to on any device outside of your pc you better do it at 44.1khz 16 bit. Most playback sources, outside of your computer, will not read the disc if you do. 44.1khz 16 bit is CD quality industry standard!

Just depends on what you're doing at the time. Experiement to see what your programs can and can not read.

Thanks for taking the time out to help a brother out! I have a better undestanding of digital processing!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Thanks for taking the time out to help a brother out! I have a better undestanding of digital processing!

No problem. Glad I can help.

p.s. PCM is the industry digital "audio" standard. Everything use to be on tape (analog) i.e reel to reel. When digital audio was introduced PCM was born. IEEE Floating point was introduced for digital audio video side of things i.e syncing music to video. So if you do most your music with IEEE Floating point it won't have to be converted should you do audio and video later.

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
No problem. Glad I can help.

p.s. PCM is the industry digital "audio" standard. Everything use to be on tape (analog) i.e reel to reel. When digital audio was introduced PCM was born. IEEE Floating point was introduced for digital audio video side of things i.e syncing music to video. So if you do most your music with IEEE Floating point it won't have to be converted should you do audio and video later.

Where do you learn these things!!! You and Wings are the friggin' "THE INFO KINGS" LOL
You're a true asset to this community!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Where do you learn these things!!! You and Wings are the friggin' "THE INFO KINGS" LOL
You're a true asset to this community!

Nah man...lol! I wish. Wings is the man forreal though. Dude is a walking music encyclopedia. Me, I just love what I do, and I want to know all the moving parts of it, so I do my homework. If I was 1/10 as much into school back in the day as I am this music shhh, I'd be a v.p at a fortune 500 company or something! lol

p.s. I did attend the Atlanta Art Institute of Atlanta in the late 90's, so I guess I should attribute some of what I know to my "attempt" at getting an Ass. Degree in music and entertainment management! Didn't finish, but while I was there I soak'd up as much as I could. Had a little money back then and wanted to open my own studio so I drop'd out. STUPID ME!

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
p.s. I did attend the Atlanta Art Institute of Atlanta in the late 90's, so I guess I should attribute some of what I know to my "attempt" at getting an Ass. Degree in music and entertainment management! Didn't finish, but while I was there I soak'd up as much as I could. Had a little money back then and wanted to open my own studio so I drop'd out. STUPID ME!

Me, too! I went to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh...but I didn't learn SHIT!!!! lol Once I got a taste of production and dem girls! Engineering was OUT!!!! I dropped out and got a job at a local recording studio as "in house " beat maker for cats who no production. 92-96, mad money was gettin' thrown around and I had a butterfly net catching all of it I could.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Dear Brothers, I humbly & kindly thank you for the compliments & utmost positive reinforcement! Deepest Blessings, may peace, love & light be upon y'all!

Great info + perspective LDB, word up!

Respectfully Yours,
Wings

members online