Ideas for preventing our beats getting stolen

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Also, you could be signed to a label, who makes an official release of your record, that means it's registered with all the collection agencies, is printed as physical copies, " copyrighted " ... and still get your music stolen.

Just like in the case of Bruno Mars stealing Breakbot's "Baby I'm Yours" released on Ed Banger Records, for his song "Treasure". (You can look this one up)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Just hire this guy:

Saul Goodman I Know What Youre Thinking GIF by Better Call Saul

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What @Iron Keys college did you attend? Re: lawyers I once read somewhere that you want one that isn't in bed w/the label one signs to.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
What @Iron Keys college did you attend? Re: lawyers I once read somewhere that you want one that isn't in bed w/the label one signs to.

Yep! Exactly this. I was gonna add that.

Labels have their own lawyers they can also offer you but its best to avoid this as it is a conflict of interests;

Your lawyer is trying to help you get the best deal for YOU and a labels lawyer will be trying to get the best deal for THEM. So wouls be wise to get a separate lawyer.

But like i said, make sure it's one who is familiar with music industry contracts. As there are tricks to look out for etc

Aight so, ever since he-who-shan't-be-named, I've grew a bit skeptical of uploading beats, because well, let's say if there's a beat battle somewhere else other than illmuzik; he could be downloading our winner beats and submitting them as his own right now. who knows?

I personally wouldn't mind that much, I don't upload the goody goodies anywhere anyway, and tbh I hate nagging about stuff, especially with no replacement proposal, like "if this is so shit, why don't you step up and tell us how to fix it?", but yeah I actually do have an idea.

so we can't put tags on our beats and that's totally fair and understandable, but what if for a substitute protection, illmuzik was coded to automatically put a slight quiet tag that goes "illmuzik.com" over every uploaded beat at certain timings?
You're first protection on your beats are the master files on your computer/ harddrive where you made your beat on. You could send @Fade stems of your beat its not better or its doesnt equal to the same as the original file with dates of creation of your beat. You have the master of masters. Second purchase isrc number for your beats or make a beat tape and you dont have to upload it and buy a UPC number for it. Now you have two type of protection. Its so many ways to protect your beats. Have Ascap or BMI and have a administration watching everything moving

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing

Yeah, if you consider it that if you;
- get a manager
- get a publishing deal
- get a record deal
Etc

All these things require you sign contracts.

Pretty much everything in music, how you and the people you work with get paid, is about exploiting you and your work. And that's what the contracts all cover. Who get paid how they get paid how much and whatever rights etc.

So it's important to have a lawyer to help protect you from getting screwed over.

If you even saw a 'good' record contract you might be shocked or terrified about signing one.

And consider also... phone contracts you get offered are never the best offer, you can always get better. Same with recording contracts, there are often tonnes of unnecessary and unreasonable things in them... but most people don't know about that, see "record contract" and/or money signs and just sign.

A lawyer experienced in music will know what to look out for.

nikwen

ILLIEN
Yeah, if you consider it that if you;
- get a manager
- get a publishing deal
- get a record deal
Etc

All these things require you sign contracts.

Pretty much everything in music, how you and the people you work with get paid, is about exploiting you and your work. And that's what the contracts all cover. Who get paid how they get paid how much and whatever rights etc.

So it's important to have a lawyer to help protect you from getting screwed over.

If you even saw a 'good' record contract you might be shocked or terrified about signing one.

And consider also... phone contracts you get offered are never the best offer, you can always get better. Same with recording contracts, there are often tonnes of unnecessary and unreasonable things in them... but most people don't know about that, see "record contract" and/or money signs and just sign.

A lawyer experienced in music will know what to look out for.
Thanks for the explanation. That was really interesting food for thought.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
It's @K-waz ISRC and they can be gotten for free when signing up for music distributions services but the best option is paying $95 via USISRC.

Last edited:

members online