How many people here actually buy Reason Refills, why and why not?

• warzone (oct 8-12) signup begins in...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I'll start by my likes and dislikes...

The kits are based on FM synthesis which is a good thing imo. They sound pretty decent. I also like the combinator patches, they come in handy at times. I like the ease of adding fx to your work. Also the ability to change your sounds into something totally new is a plus.

I dont like that most of the patches are automactically triggered but thats really no BIG deal, it just gets aggrevating at times. Need more hip hop based sounds out the gate.

Lately Ive been messing aroung with Morphine and Im really liking it but I would still buy Refills.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
No I dont use reason, cant use them, searched for something to "de-reason" or unpack them but to no avail. I've come across maybe 3 refills I thought I could def use tho

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I use to buy them....NOT ANYMORE...

I don't use Reason much and when I do the presets synth do just fine. If I solely produced with Reason maybe I'd buy them but I don't so I won't. Can't remember the last time I bought a refill. Not many are geared toward what I produce anyway. Abby and all them are useless to me.......

There are way too many BETTER goodies out there to play with than what reason offers in my opinion. And this is coming from a man that use to SWEAR by reason...some of yall remember....lmao

ABLETON IZ DA SHITNIC.....LMAO

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I use to buy them....NOT ANYMORE...

I don't use Reason much and when I do the presets synth do just fine. If I solely produced with Reason maybe I'd buy them but I don't so I won't. Can't remember the last time I bought a refill. Not many are geared toward what I produce anyway. Abby and all them are useless to me.......

There are way too many BETTER goodies out there to play with than what reason offers in my opinion. And this is coming from a man that use to SWEAR by reason...some of yall remember....lmao

ABLETON IZ DA SHITNIC.....LMAO

ya see I was thinking about going to reason because you endorsed it so hard too.
lol, times have changed!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
thedreampolice said:
No refills can be anything
I was refering to what I have...lol. I like ableton too, someone who used to swear by reason convinced me to switch to ableton live. I still do most in FL Studio though. Im just more familiar with it.

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
reason is the shit. you can do just about any sound with it, given you have some good base samples and a little bit of time.. gotta enjoy having that "virtual rack" setup, routing with the cable diagram keeps my mind thinkin music.

gotta be honest though, there have only been a certain few refills i've ever found were worth forking money out for.. i think if that whole record/reason gig added support for external midi instruments they would have a winner for a lot of the composers out there. my ideal setup would be reason + hardware synths all from a single program.. not saying rewire is bad, but i'd rather have a totally integrated solution.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
If your doing samples, Id highly suggest velocity splits with multisamples, etc.
Id like to see something with rare old analog synths personally.
Quarky stuff like the Concertmate MG-1 and other forgotten unique synths....preferably sampled in a really nice wood floor studio and then a dry environment so theres 2 options.

What would be dope too is some GOOD synth programmed drums even though I know how to make them myself.....Everytime i come across pre-programmed synth drums their always lacking somewhere which sucks.

I think some unique percussion would be cool too. Like metal garbage can stomps and shit. lol I think what would make particular samples like that shine though and actually get used instead of discarded would be an excellent recording job of the sounds themselves....cuz if you think about it, you always gravitate to the most realistic, well recorded stuff in the kit first...or at least I do anyways.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
For amazing synth drums you need to check out this refill

http://www.nucleus-soundlab.com/synthetickits.htm

"Concertmate MG-1 and other forgotten unique synths....preferably sampled in a really nice wood floor studio and then a dry environment so theres 2 options."

Have you seen the analog monster refills? What is lacking in that?

Seriously I am doing market research and if there is a HUGE sound gap in refills I can make a few to fill it.