Hip Hop banned from bar to get liquor license

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
http://www.westislandgazette.com/news/29093

It's a news story from an area near where I live. I'm just wondering what you all think of this. So this bar is getting their liquor license back but they've agreed to ban hip hop music in order to get it. This is ridiculous. I can't believe that the government is asking them to do this!

I mean, sure, it's because it's related to gang activity at that bar in the past but c'mon - instead why not make changes to the security or something like that?

Anyway, it just seems like a blatant ban on a form of music.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Wow! This is stupidity at it's best...ban a genre of music due to gang related activity? LMAO, thats like saying it's still ok for the gang members to come and do whatever, we'll just ban the music that you've been playing! smh!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ya that's it, it's stupid. I just don't get how the people approving the license is recommending this! I can see how the bar owners want to get back in business at all costs but this just pushes a lot of people away.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
LOL what really makes it funny hip hop music isnt as violent as it was during the emergence of so called "Gangsta rap". These days the music isnt the issue, but I've heard the same thing at a couple places around here.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Ugh, ya I read that shit.

"In January, Montreal police expressed concern about Le Pionnier and the ability of the bar’s owners to operate safely after they booked a hip-hop band that police believed would attract gang-related activity."

Non-sense, utter bullshit at its finest. Then again... this is Quebec, where stereotyping is accepted (and encouraged) at the highest levels of government.