Headroom for vocals.

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
When you guys are mixing down an instrumental before recording vocals, how much headroom do you normally leave for the vocals ? Ideally I'd like to have vocals in the mix before i mixdown, but a lot of times i don't even have an artist lined up when im making a track, so it gets mixed without the vocals and then I run into the issue of having to change shit to make the vocals sit right. Just curious what other ppl are doing

Edit: I guess this is a stupid question, it obviously depends on the track and can vary greatly. I just was wondering approximately how much of the headroom in your tracks is taken up by the instrumental alone, and how much (on average) is vocals.

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
Yeah guess there's no way around it, have to mix it once to showcase it as an instrumental, n do it over again when the vocals are added ..

Mixtape Meeko

Mixtape Meeko
It sounds like you are doing the right thing. There isn't going to be an artist around ready to record everytime we make a beat. Usually I mix the beat really good and save that session. When an artist wants to record on tha particular track, I record them and then you have to change some volume levels, eq...... As far as headroom goes, I recommend not letting the whole mix go above -6db. This is if you plan on getting it mastered.