Has anyone used "Pure Phatt" soundfont cd?

M

mbiafb

According to the people at Creative, this soundfont cd is supposed to be composed of "the best sounds from Mo' Phatt". Has anyone used thse soundfonts? If so, how do they compare with the sounds of Mo' Phatt.

This is my first post, so forgive me if this topic has come up before.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

I bought the 'producer pack' and few years back which had the Proteus 1-3 and MoPhatt disc in it, it was something like $50. The sounds are pretty decent but are about 10+ years old, think of the Prodigy's Music for the Jilted Generation.

If you have a friend, split the difference with him and it will totally be worth your while.

Will you be using a Live, Audigy I/II, or Extigy? Or something else?

I don't know if it sounds like the MoPhatt, but I will say this: the sample format used by EMU on their synth modules are WAY more powerful than the soundfont equivelants (sp?), I ended up getting frustrated trying to program NRPN mixermaps in Cubase to control the LFO's and filters. But, for $15.00 or whatever they cost nowadays, it's not a bad disc.

Nick

M

mbiafb

thanks for the info. I did not think they could duplicate the actual sound of the module in a soundfont, but if it is close and I can get it at reduced cost, it might be worthwhile.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

You can reproduce the basic sound of any PCM module, this is how sample cd's work. The real art is being able to reproduce the programability (sp?) and the effects of the module.

You'll notice that when you buy a sample cd, the sounds come in all sorts of formats. EMU format will allow you to patch all sorts of parameters into each other, this will only be fully exploited by EMU samplers. You can load these sounds into an Akai sampler (like the MPC2000), but you won't be able to have access to all the parameters that were originally programmed into the sound.

If you go on ebay, you'll notice that you can get the sounds of almost any synth in a sample cd format. All the cd producer did was play a couple sounds off the original synth, recorded them as wave files, mapped them out to different key on a keyboard, and saved it as a program for different samplers. What sucks is that you don't get to mess with the sounds the way that they were intended to be messed with because samplers are all PCM based and only offer things like filters, LFO's and envelopes to modify the sound. You can't mess with (using the Yamaha FS1R for example) the different operators, formant sequences, bandwidths, skirts, etc.

Nick

M

mbiafb

you bring up a good point.the exact same sample sounds so different in different device. It would help if my synthg had a resonant filter