Good software Synth

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

My personal favorite is Reaktor because there is literally nothing that it cannot do, you can build mixers, eq's, effects, synths, samplers, sequencers, etc. with it. It takes a lot of work to make something totally unique, but the only limitation is the amount of time you put into it and your processor.

Reason is very nice as well because it offers most of the things that you need right out of the box and it sounds pretty good.

Take care,

Nick

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Theres so many dope VSTi's out there its impossible to name just a couple. Here's what I think sounds good but it depends what type of sound you're looking for. New? Old? Pads? Leads? etc. Anywayz heres my short list in no order.

RGC audio / Z3ta+
RGC audio / Pentagon I, Triangle II (free)
Lin Plug / Albino
Native INstruments / Reaktor, FM7, Absynth
Steinberg / D'Cota
Green Oak / Crystal 2.0 (free)
VazModular and Vaz Plus 2.0
Virsyn / Tera
Arturia / MoogModular V
Propellerheads / Reason
Waldorf / A1 (cubase only)
Steinberg / PPG Wave 2V

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks for your answers.
since i´m new to synthesizers i would like to start with a plain and simple one. too many knobs and features can be a hidrance if you start out. i just need one with the basic features. later on i want to move on to a more complex system and go into deepth.

so what´synthesizer suits me best?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Your better off buying a "good" synth at once, instead of buying bit by bit and figuring out that afterwards your purchase was not your preference. It's still a lot of money you pay for any synth. The Knob issue is actually a comfort, the more knobs the better, you will learn in time.

For the one that suits you best, you should be able to try out some synths at a good dealer. I did on the virus and got it for a week giving it a test drive before actualy buying it.

K

" Killah! "

I think Reaktor, as a softsynth, provides unparalleled synthesis power and capabilities. It's ability for you to go into the the different modules, alter their function, then set up your own unique routing system from Oscillator, Filter, Amp, FX whatever you want is outstanding. It has wavetable synthesis, additive, subtractive, and FM synthesis.

Furthermore, it has an array of softsamplers, and different modules which give you the craziest FX and power to manipulate samples and beats known to man.

Some may say that Reaktor is guilty of "cutting corners" regarding its necessity of using a CPU as its powercore (this is true of ALL softsynths), but the power it gives you is something that could not have been dreamed of a couple years ago. It indeed is the total package.

Granular synthesis, which is ANOTHER form of synthesis I forgot to mention is another way to make great and unique sounds. I literally sit in front of it for hours, routing modules to try to make interesting sounds.

A similar synth with very very powerful synthesis capabilities via a software control program is the Nord Modular (but it's not a softsynth, it runs off DSP.) That is great and a friend of mine has it. It's incredible.

You said you want something simple, and Reaktor offers you simple "analogue synths" with a few knobs and controllers. I suggest you not get ripped off by buying a softsynth that emulates only one synth, but get something like Reaktor, where you have more softsynths at your disposal as you develop and understand synthprogramming further.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I forgot to mention the Noah by Creamware. It's a 19" rack unit which is capable of storing multiple VST instruments and use them in multi as if it was a Module. No need for the PC to run your VST anymore plus now you can use them on the road. Comes with excellent GUI for editing and once edited it goes through hardware only.

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
wow. thanks for your answers. I think I´ll finally have some clue on what the market offers. I think I´ll download several demo versions and then finally decide.

I´ve been doing mostly beats based on analogue instruments (samples + own creations). But a couple of days ago I played around with a friends tritron and just adding some simple snyth melody to the hookline made the hookline sound phatt, so that I want to see what snyths can add to my music.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo a lot of new gear is commin out in the next couple of months so you might wanna hold off till then. A lot of the hardware companies are going virtual. Yamaha, Korg, Waldorf, Novation, and a gang of other companies. Korg's commin out with a virtual legacy series which is their old MS-20, Wavestation, and Polysix all in VST. I gotta find a way to get some loot before all this gear comes out :eek: .

B

BeatOff

Really they are? So you think the hardware will become cheaper? Please say YES

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
NOpe. And its not becuase hardware is better either. Its becuase the hardware companies have agreements with each other not to drop their prices. Who knows tho, all the synth companies had an agreement not to go virtual and now they all doin it so maybe prices will drop eventually. If prices do drop imma pick up a Alesis Andromeda and CLavia Nord Modular G2 :D