Ghost Kicks

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm trying to step my drum game up now that I'm moving over to an mpc and I know that a lot of pro producers use ghost kicks to get a little more bounce out of their drum patterns. For people here who use them, how do you do it? How quiet should they be compared to the normal kicks? Do you use them to syncopate the rhythm or just to make the already accented beats hit harder?

Does anyone do this with snares also?

T

TheMost

very interested to read this, im using reason and i guess i can use this tip as well, props

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
With ghost kicks they are supposed to be felt more than herd, feel that real low sub bass. And 808 might work well but it could trail off to much.

Use it sparingly because to much sub bass can create a muddy mix.

NW

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
With ghost kicks they are supposed to be felt more than herd, feel that real low sub bass. And 808 might work well but it could trail off to much.

Use it sparingly because to much sub bass can create a muddy mix.

NW

makes sense but yeah an 808 has a big release...i guess duplicating your main kick and throwing a pretty heavy lowpass on their could do the job also. thanks man.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
makes sense but yeah an 808 has a big release...i guess duplicating your main kick and throwing a pretty heavy lowpass on their could do the job also. thanks man.

just shorten the release on it? there are tons of ways to do it so there's never really a scenario where you wouldn't be able to

breal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think everyone is just making this harder then it is.
Just lower the velocity on some of the notes in the pianoroll.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
A ghost stroke is a low velocity hit, I work with a drummer that is the king of ghost snare notes. Just get a really low (volume) note that is a little before or after the main kick beat and you should be good to go.

Props on the good info

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
On an MPC< I would recommend putting the same kik on two pads, one on full volume, the other on 3/4 volume.
Then right before the one, throw in that ghost kick.
Kind of like a heartbeat, it doesn't go BUM BUM it goes ba BUM.
If ya get my drift....
PEACE!!!

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Carefully..

Easily...

but yea on the MP just put ur kick on 16 levels velocity and bang it out on the 16th pad (and 15-14th if u wnana vary it up) then when it loops on overdub u can lay down ghost notes usin pads 7-11 (which ever volume u prefer)

T

TheMost

are you using the step in redrum? If so just put a low volume hit right before. If you are using the sequencer just pencil in a low velocity hit.

SO sya i got my kicks on 1 and 9 youre suggesting i put another kick at 8?