Fruityloops best advice

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Here's a thread that i think could help a lot of people. What has been the most crucial and beneficial thing you've discovered in fruityloops, and how does it work? There's a lot of shit in that program, so i thought we could all help eachother out. For me, I've been doin it for about a year, it has been by far the sampler. When i discovered it i almost busted a nut, because i was feeling very limited using all the fl instruments (most of which suck). I just get the sample in CEP, then right click on a channel in fruity, click load sample, open it up and there it is. What have y'all found to be crucial that can help us all?

boneyboys

50 Million Year Trip
ill o.g.
I'd say my main piece of advice would be play to it's advantages, so no real flashy stuff cause it it just too time consuming to handle it. That and use VST's like your life depended on it, they make fruity from an OK product to a damn useful one.

Da IllFellaz

Knee Deep In Da Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 125
first things first, when i learned that FL can take ANY WAV SOUND, thats when i realized the unlimited potential it really has. i do the same as u ksavage, chop in CEP n load into FL. i do all my shit like that. another thing that i thought was crucial is the tempo. i put the tempo up to at LEAST 180. i can make my drums BANG when i do that. i got tracks at like 400 sometimes. they can make your drums really stand out. yall should try it. i really dont use much plugins xcept for the 7 band eq. that can really make the beat come alive too when the knobs is tweaked rite.

FL is a really powerful program that lota people sleep on. its up to its users to make it more respected.

nomics

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo I finally learn what was wrong w/ my sampletank. I installed it in the wrong directory. damn

um yeah, FL w/ some good VSTi's makes it unstoppable

hobgoblin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
good ish in fruity...

1. I play the drums on their own in fruity and at the same time fire random samples from Cool edit by highlighting sections of a whole track in cool edit and pressing spacebar to play the sample. Its a pretty random technique but sometimes the results are pretty dope.)

(if i had my turntabel hooked up I would do it that way but theres no room for me to put both in the same room!)

2. Use the panning option and add reverb and delay to instruments, also make a duplicate of the sample, set them to play at the same time pan one left one right and shift one of them slightly.

Anyone else?

hobgoblin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Blood overdrive

I messed with 'Blood Overdrive' yesterday and used it on my drums = NICE distortion (not that crappy digital distortion like in Cool Edit)

If you like your drums a bit grimy try it out!

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
These are some off the worse Flstudio tips I've ever seen.
So here is some advice directly related to the posts in this thread.

No.1 Stop calling it fruityloops it's call Fl "studio" for a reason. After the software developers realized the power and potentual for the software, they saw fit to change the name as well. As long as you don't respect it all you will be making is fruityloops.

No.2 The sounds that come with FLstudio do not suck, it's just popular to say so and popular to feel like you need some better drum hits so you can make real music. Anyone who is beyond a novice with programs like soundforge and cooledit knows that you can manipulate sounds to sound almost anyway you like. You miss the whole point of being creative thinking like that, not to mention you can change those sounds with FLstudio alone.

No.3 Most of the time the vsts that are any good will take up more cpu than a sample. In fact it is advised to actually render samples from vsts and bring them back into Flstudio as samples to save cpu.

No.4 What are you doing triggering samples from another program while playing the drums in Flstudio? Don't you know that you can trigger your samples in your channels settings window?

C'mon mannnnnnnnn!

No.5 "Quantize" Does not control velocity nor does it add realness to the song. A real drummer adds realness to the song so go learn something about how real drummers play and you will find out that they don't hit every beat on time.

No.6 The manual is user friendly.

No.7 Open up those demo files and see how others use the software.

No.8 The program is cheap, but you don't have to be, buy it if you don't own it.

No.9 You have to go outside of Flstudio to be better in it. Making Good music is hardly about just knowing some functions in Flstudio.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
Kevin A said:
These are some off the worse Flstudio tips I've ever seen.
So here is some advice directly related to the posts in this thread.

No.1 Stop calling it fruityloops it's call Fl "studio" for a reason.

Here we go again. People are gonna call it fruity loops as long as possible.FL Studio...Fruity Loops Studio!

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
Fruityloops was a stupid name to begin with, who would want to hold on to it besides the originators.
I think when these guys take this serious, and realize that it is a studio, they will call it just that. I do everything in it, create, record audio, mix, and master in it. You just need to be serious and smart about how and what you do. Waves plugins won't hurt either.

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Kevin A said:
Fruityloops was a stupid name to begin with, who would want to hold on to it besides the originators.
I think when these guys take this serious, and realize that it is a studio, they will call it just that. I do everything in it, create, record audio, mix, and master in it. You just need to be serious and smart about how and what you do. Waves plugins won't hurt either.

It does kinda irk my nerves when I slip and say Fruity Loops.... bleh. Those feelings always get swiped when I get to bangin out tracks. The best things that I love about FL (happy, you guys?) is the interface itself. I'll try to fuck wit Live, cubase and all that other shit, but it REALLY doesn't get any better than the smooth interface FL has. The mixer is incredible, the snap to none I fell in love with and I'm having a secret affair with its timestretching capabilities. Those and the MIDI compatibility have me up all night working wonders.

FL Studio, i love you.

P.S.
Ever think about changing the name? try Floesha!

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
World city, I got a midi trick for you if you have asio drivers.

Hita_K

Dilltastic
ill o.g.
I dont know if anyone knows this but after im done i beat, I add these plugins on the main channel to give it a lil professional feel, wit a bit of tweaking: Stereo enhancer, blood overdrive, compressor, and 7 band eq.

Retro

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
the best functions of FL ive found to be are the layer channels and the time stretch.

layer channels are great for creating "complex sounds" and my favourite creating drumkits. the time stretch is great for sampling when you have a 1 or 2 bar loop you want to play in time. cant really think of any other functions at the moment...

i think these were the key discoveries for me. i ddnt figure these ones out for a while after gettin FL. even after reading the tutorials :rolleyes: