For You Programmers out there!

Little off the music track but I began some basic programming as a kid in the 80s on the Amstrad CPC 464.

Others might have been Spectrum or Commodore.

You young pups will be like the Am’ fucking what?

Basically an old computer that used tapes to play as our Games.

£2.99 was seen as high cost for a game back then.

You could literally put the tape in, press play and fuck off to the shops for sweets and drinks and still be back home before it’s loaded your game!

Anyway, so later on I dabbled further from basic to C, C++ but not heavily.

My question here as I want to get back into programming on the side is, what would you recommend as I have seen a lot of good spoken about Python’ and am steering in that direction.

It’s so far for general fun and not the full on object and robotically cold style of C, C ++.

Anyone had experience with Python or something similar?

Leopard Cohen

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 49
IMO, Python is like the new Perl - tons of libraries, easy(ish) to learn, good duct tape language for scripting. If you're just looking to get shit done, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything more capable in 2024.

Since you've already got some familiarity with C/C++ you might want to check out Rust and Golang. The learning curve is steeper but it's what all the cool kids are learning these days.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I looked into Python and it looks really good but I'm more drawn to Go, so I'm preparing to start studying it soon. Rust also looks good.

There's so many languages out there now that it can be hard to decide though.

This guy does a great job of explaining Go: