FL studio alternative for Mac

Evil Scientist

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Alright so here's the deal, I'm about to make the switch to a mac-based setup (imac G5 20", Yamaha 01X audio interface, Logic Pro 7 etc...) coming from using a PC-based setup (P4, FL Studio, Cubase SX2), which I think will largely benefit my production. However I have grown very fond of using FL Studio in conjunction with the Akai MPD-16 midi controller to basically emulate the MPC-4000 on the PC. I really work will with this kind of pattern based work but obviously there's no FL Studio on the mac. So basically I wanted to know what are the best alternatives with the mac?

My first thought was that I should move over to using Reason, but I don't know if it's possible to sequence in the same way with it (pattern-based), which is something I would miss. Plus it seems less of an all round package particularly when it comes to recording and sample editing.

Then the other more expensive alternatives are to go out and buy an actual MPC-4000 which seems kinda like overkill as I'm also planning on buying the Triton EX-61, so that would mean three big sequencers in my setup (with Logic). Or I just thought up this morning that I could buy a laptop pc for around £700 ($1400) and use it as a portable set-up principally for FL Studio (although saving desk-clutter is more important than portability for me)

What do y'all think?, btw I see Logic Pro 7 does have it's own step-sequencing synth, but I doubt it goes as far in capabilities as FL Studio, am I right?

This is especially important for me because FL Studio is where I usually start laying down my ideas after I've got a rough draft on paper or beatboxed.

thanks for tha help,

Evil

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Well i really dont see why you wanna move to mac from Pc. I mean if the Pc works for you why go to a new platform?

Reason is a good Program..im not a real big fan of Fl.. the pattern Based thing all that is is what? working on Patterns and Then latter arranging them..yea ,you can do that with any Software...In reason how i would do so is

1.Record the drums 2 bars
2.Record main melody 2 bats
3.Record bass 2 bars
and So on

Color Code each Drums Red, Bass Brown, Flutes Yellow, horns etc and So on.. then copy and Paste them in the order in which u would like.. go in Edit up a bar here or there so on and So forth...

Fl's Step Sequencer better than Logic's? no.. programs like Reason and Fl can't compare to apps like Cubase, Logic Dp4, there not in the same Field at all...those multitrack crush those Reason and Fl when it comes to all around versitility and capability.

The Laptop is not a bad Option... Or you can find a nice person to code FL for the Mac they may charge you but its been done i've seen it a few times..

Honestly if i were u i'd stick with what i knew.. And this is coming from a Mac user...

at my boys lab he uses a Pc.. and he's doing alot of Ghost production for a few names.. only thing he's using in Reason.. that new Echo sound card some Krk monitors Midi controller Sampletank and Acid 5... on 2 ghz Amd custom built machine His room walls are covered with Bed foam.. So i mean if you making this Crossover to mac because you think your Quality will enchance.. not gonna happen at all..its true somethings run alot Smoother things are alot More stable on the mac side.. and anything worth using (seriously) is put on the mac Side for example Logic ..

Or you can do what i do.. Use Both Platforms.. Clock your Main Studio (Mac) with Acid on the Pc Side and and Enjoy

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I dont know your budget, but it would be wise to mention such first. As it looks right now you're willing to spend some decent money on this.

The mpd issue can be resolved for every platform, by various 3rd party software. There's hardly any
alternative for fruityloops, simply because sampler properties contain functions that cant be done as convenient as within fruityloops ( the sampler is in fact a synth, including arpeggio and polyphonic options ). There also arent many programs I know of that offer the cut itself/cut-cut by options, reason does on the redrum but only for 2 channels. That doesn't mean other programs are less functional, I mean, logic comes with EXS24 which by todays standards read rex and has note assignment aswell. On pc platform you could use Battery, RMIV or Sampletank.

In any case I'd drop the amount of sequencers because it's not much more convenient. It also just depends on how you structure your setup. Consider logic to be the base of all, masterclock, multitrack recording, score editing and mixing/mastering. FL should be considered an instrument in combo with such like an mpd/mpc. FL in an additional laptop with a good multi I/O interface ( like the emu cardbus I/O ) would be good if you'd still desire to use FL. Simply slave the laptop to logic and route the output from the audio interface to the inputs of the MOTU.

Logic doesn't have a pattern based editor, but that doesn't mean you can't work in a similar approach, that's a matter of technique but not difficult. A step sequencing synth ? Ehr, that has to be a 606, 808 or 909 hehehe.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
N.U.G. said:
I recommend Reason mate. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too different to FLStudio and overall it's an excellent program.

That's dope that your using the MPD too, I was beginning to think no one else on here had one. Peep this thread when you have a chance;

https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8927

peace

Boooooooooo @N.U.G
No more tips for you lol.

Evil Scientist

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
hey yo thanks for the advice everyone, to respond to Formant thanks to a summer internship at Bank Of America I did last year (I'm goin back again this year as well) I have around £5000 ($10000) dollars to spend. To explain a bit more, for me FL Studio is my MPC, as Formant says having too many sequencers can be counter productive plus I like the flexibility of dealing with lots of samples etc... on a big PC-Screen so I haven't gone and bought one, but I regard FL in the same way that a lot of you guys view your beloved MPC-1000/2000/4000s. It's simple yet powerful to work with and with a few vsts sometimes all I need. I avoid the robotic-ness in my beats through careful use of quantise so I have no gripes with it and don't want to leave it behind.

As regards the investment, basically I want/need (a bit of both really) a new computer because the one I have now was not originally bought to be a DAW and has various issues, such as noise, software clutter, bulky CRT monitor that I wanted to get shot off. The iMac seemed the best value seeing as it's so fast, quiet and cheap! mines the top of the range model and will only cost $2000 or £1000 with 1.5gb of ram and there's also the attraction of being able to use Logic Pro 7. Obviously none of these are a magic ticket to a major record deal but I'm not bothered about that anyway I just want the most comfortable/convenient platform for me.

I've spotted a few reasonably priced (pc) laptops online as well and think that get to run fruity and get the best of both worlds.

Thanks again for the help, you can check out my results (once everything's delivered) in the showcase

Evil

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Kevin A said:
Boooooooooo @N.U.G
No more tips for you lol.

haha! I only recommended Reason because he will be using a MAC (which FLStudio won't run on).

I still love FL and recommend it (and Reason) to anyone with a PC!

more tips please Kevin A!!! :D

hey, you have an MPD16 too don't you mate?

holla

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
check out the EMU1616 for laptop interfacing, it's like 399 so pretty cheap, hook this up to whatever's going to interface audio on the mac and you can route 16 channels from FL into Logic for recording ( 24 when including the ADAT I/O ).

And to be honest, I'm pretty keen on using various sequencers in one setup. It's a matter of perspective to get things working the way you want it, but not impossible. One advantage of such is that you have various means of producing ( but I'm not talking onboard synth sequencers in a setup consisting out of 3 synths ) which simply implies different results.

BROUSSARD BEATS

BroussardGoHard
ill o.g.
I use to the imac with Dp4 and its compatable with pro tools now so i can open pro tools flies or save my work in pro tools. But the macs are made for music production. but it 's also so good to keep a pc on standby. www.motu.com check it out read up on it before you change over

members online