First project, with no training. Should I pursue this?

Phenri

Master Beater
Hopefully, this abides by all of the rules... This is my first post here. I decided to try my hand at beat making, with no experience or training. I'm pretty much just figuring it out as I go at this point. I think it sounds pretty good, but I don't have a trained ear. Would anyone who is more experienced be willing to take a listen and provide honest feedback? I'd like to know whether or not I might be on to something.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Before even listening, if this is your first attempt, whether you've had training or not, you really cannot be deciding whether you should pursue something or not. Unless you just know you really don't enjoy it.

At this point, you really just need to keep creating creating creating to kinda really find your feet and get some kind of feeling. And of course it can be really helpful in that journey if you seek feedback like you're doing now.

jkz08

☘️EireWaves ☘️
works for me man,

u have to start somewhere 'ight? well Youve got good sounds happening on ur track. biggest problem facing newbies _ whether ur totally new or like me, i spent near;ly four years figuring out my DAW and a few plugins before sticking my head outta the nest and seeing if i had wings.Biggest problem facing AnyOne is can you take criticism even if its destructive ? from losers that cant even put a 4/4 together or a
heavily experienced dude trying to steer u right?

Honestly u have something and id say u know it so go find a market that'll dig ur tunes.

Hard to put this in a genre, funky for sure, got some 80s vibes there, feel a little computer game music influence too and of course voice box.
Enjoyed it, fun vibes! For me creativity is huge and trying your own thing how you like it is key.
Keep them coming.

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
Yes, keep my going for sure. I can tell you're a beginner, but you're already doing some great stuff in this track. Good melodies, good arrangement. Keep going and have fun, that's the most important part

Phenri

Master Beater
Thanks for the positive replies!
Hard to put this in a genre, funky for sure, got some 80s vibes there, feel a little computer game music influence too and of course voice box.
Enjoyed it, fun vibes! For me creativity is huge and trying your own thing how you like it is key.
Keep them coming.
I didn't even think about the computer game influence until you mentioned it, but it makes so much sense that I can't not think about it when I listen to this track. I'm probably gonna tweak a few things to clean it up when I find the inspiration. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Phenri

Master Beater
works for me man,

u have to start somewhere 'ight? well Youve got good sounds happening on ur track. biggest problem facing newbies _ whether ur totally new or like me, i spent near;ly four years figuring out my DAW and a few plugins before sticking my head outta the nest and seeing if i had wings.Biggest problem facing AnyOne is can you take criticism even if its destructive ? from losers that cant even put a 4/4 together or a
heavily experienced dude trying to steer u right?

Honestly u have something and id say u know it so go find a market that'll dig ur tunes.
I appreciate the kind words and advice! I'm open to any criticism that comes my way. The only way to improve my skills is to learn what I'm doing wrong.

Just to add, I see you’re going to make some tweaks. Probably just some level adjustments, I don’t feel it needs too much changing though so don’t over tweak!
My ‘computer game music’ reference was a positive by the way just incase you thought I meant it sounded crap, I like it , @0.11, that’s dope as is the voice box / vocoder parts. Nice work.

Phenri

Master Beater
Just to add, I see you’re going to make some tweaks. Probably just some level adjustments, I don’t feel it needs too much changing though so don’t over tweak!
My ‘computer game music’ reference was a positive by the way just incase you thought I meant it sounded crap, I like it , @0.11, that’s dope as is the voice box / vocoder parts. Nice work.
Thanks, man! That voice box part was an experiment that I did with my own voice. I threw in some autotune and some volume tweaking, and I really enjoyed the result.