Females In Hip Hop

• beat this! voting starts in...

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What are your thoughts on the female presence in Hip Hop and participation of women in the obvious area of MCing and production? I ask as a Black woman who feels that not much has changed if you have paid attention to the historic marginalization of women within Hip Hop, which is not exclusive to the music and culture. I also feel that there are men who are ignorant to think that the misogyny/sexism is solely a woman's issue. I refuse to be silent on an issue that has mattered since the genre's genesis in the 1970s. I'm aware that there have been women who have made their presence felt but there has long been the issue of a woman's femininity being questioned when she participated in being an MC, B-girl, etc. I've long understood that Hip Hop was a male centric activity that served as a vehicle for masculine protest under the guise of rebelliousness with women treated as a afterthought as many Black men felt that Hip Hop was a way to have a voice but it came with a price: It didn't allow them to express a full range of emotions openly.

I am aware that I am able to make my individual voice heard and carve out an individual space for myself but I'm not afraid to challenge anyone with antiquated views on a woman's predetermined roles in Hip Hop.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@BlockRockinBeat we are but die-hard Hip Hop fans have to want to look for them and promotion plays a big part.