Fade's quest to get an Akai MPD24

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
So after some research and much anticipation, I decided to go and buy the MPD24 yesterday.

Store #1
I get there and I notice the MPD16. Hmmm okay I'm in the right section, getting closer....
Guy: "Do you need help?"
Me: "Yeah do you have the MPD24?"
Guy: "Sorry we have none left, they're on back order".
Me: "When do you expect them to arrive?"
Guy: "I don't know.... I have the MPD16 though, or the Korg, how about the Korg?"
Me: "No thanks, I just want the MPD24".

Store #2
Same as the first store, I'm checking out all the stuff they have, strangely I don't even see an MPC! Hmmmm.
Girl (in French): "Can I help you?"
Me: "Yeah do you have the MPD24"
Girl (in English): "Nope. We placed an order and we're getting some MPC's (her eyes go HUGE and she said it in a way like as if the MPC is the only machine Akai makes and everyone should bow down to it)
Me: "Ok thanks"

Store #3
I like this store because it's small shop that's been around for years and I used to go there but I don't go often because of the location, I can't stand the area.
Guy: "Can I help you?"
Me: "Do you have the MPD24?"
Guy: "No sorry we don't have any left because Akai sent the shipment a few weeks ago but it never got across the border, someone from Akai screwed up the paperwork and it got sent back"
Me (heated): "Man nobody has it"
Guy: "We can reserve one for you if you'd like"

So that's what I did. Now I have to wait for Akai to re-send the shipment PROPERLY this time and I'll have my gear. Has this shit happened to you guys where you had to wait for a backorder? They also told me that from their experience, Akai is notorious for either not shipping enough units, or just not shipping properly, LOL.

Also, notice how Stores #1 and #2 just gave me a plain answer and didn't even offer to reserve it for me? Fuck those stores from now on, they just lost a customer. I figure especially with this kind of industry, we spend lots of money on gear, you'd think they'd be nicer and more professional towards us.

On another note, I messed with the MPC2500. Sweeeeet!

ill o.g.
well fade I went to the guitar center and they had like 5 in and 2 on the shelf and the guy was going to give me a deal on it there supposed to be 200 well after tax about 220 maybe 215 but he was gonna give me and mpd24 for 180 no tax because he needed the sale and plus I was goin to get the padkontrol but he talked me into it....Im going to get 1 den after that im getting a roland fantom x6 and use the mpd to control my drums in battery instead of on tHE FANTOM....Well hope it comes soon and let us know how it feels 2 ya...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
See that's the shit. I was expecting something like that to happen to me yesterday! I thought for sure they'd have at least a 1/2 dozen or so units (and possibly cut me a deal too). Damn Canadian border agents!

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Are the features between the MPD24 and MPD16 really worth the extra money? The 16 only cost $100.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Half the time when I need something the stores never have it. Half the time they try to talk you into buying something substandard or something you don't need/want. So I just buy my stuff online, if its in stock I can get next day delivery.

NW

ill o.g.
Are the features between the MPD24 and MPD16 really worth the extra money? The 16 only cost $100.
the 16 doesent have 4 banks soo if u use battery it would wok good with it or if u use FXpansion Guru it would be good for that....but yea its well worth the money more knobs and faders....

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I hate unprofessionalism. If you treat customers like that they will not come back. But when things like that happen to me I think "have I ever treated one of my clients that way?" I want to make sure that anyone I do a video/beat/production for is happy!

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
And the 24 has MMC.

I have the 16. I don't really see the point of getting a 24. Maybe when my 16 dies.

NW

Cool, I want one of these BAD. I can swing a hundred, but right now, the $220 is a little steep. sh!t...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah it's got the 4 banks instead of the 2, the pads are the ones from the MPC2500 (so I've heard), it's got extra sliders and knobs, and yes, MMC. Plus it just looks better than the 16 :)

Dreampolice, yeah that's the thing. To some people it might not be a big deal, but I pick up on small things like that and being courteous and having the right attitude with the client goes a long way. I find that more and more I see "big" stores not care about the customers, yet the mom and pop stores do (since they NEED the sale!).

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
So after some research and much anticipation, I decided to go and buy the MPD24 yesterday.

Store #1
I get there and I notice the MPD16. Hmmm okay I'm in the right section, getting closer....
Guy: "Do you need help?"
Me: "Yeah do you have the MPD24?"
Guy: "Sorry we have none left, they're on back order".
Me: "When do you expect them to arrive?"
Guy: "I don't know.... I have the MPD16 though, or the Korg, how about the Korg?"
Me: "No thanks, I just want the MPD24".

Store #2
Same as the first store, I'm checking out all the stuff they have, strangely I don't even see an MPC! Hmmmm.
Girl (in French): "Can I help you?"
Me: "Yeah do you have the MPD24"
Girl (in English): "Nope. We placed an order and we're getting some MPC's (her eyes go HUGE and she said it in a way like as if the MPC is the only machine Akai makes and everyone should bow down to it)
Me: "Ok thanks"

Store #3
I like this store because it's small shop that's been around for years and I used to go there but I don't go often because of the location, I can't stand the area.
Guy: "Can I help you?"
Me: "Do you have the MPD24?"
Guy: "No sorry we don't have any left because Akai sent the shipment a few weeks ago but it never got across the border, someone from Akai screwed up the paperwork and it got sent back"
Me (heated): "Man nobody has it"
Guy: "We can reserve one for you if you'd like"

So that's what I did. Now I have to wait for Akai to re-send the shipment PROPERLY this time and I'll have my gear. Has this shit happened to you guys where you had to wait for a backorder? They also told me that from their experience, Akai is notorious for either not shipping enough units, or just not shipping properly, LOL.

Also, notice how Stores #1 and #2 just gave me a plain answer and didn't even offer to reserve it for me? Fuck those stores from now on, they just lost a customer. I figure especially with this kind of industry, we spend lots of money on gear, you'd think they'd be nicer and more professional towards us.

On another note, I messed with the MPC2500. Sweeeeet!

I went to guitar center many moons ago to cop my second mpc. When i got there, all they had was the display model. I asked if they could sell me the display on discount, but they said they had to charge me full price. So I asked them how long would it be before they got some new ones in and the dude told me, "I don't know, for some reason when we try to place an order, no one would answer the phone". They tried email and everything, no response. Then I went to this other place called "A,L,&M" and they just don't carry the thing period. I basically waited like two months before I got the mpc 4000 because that's how long it took for guitar center to get ahold of the company. When I had my first mpc, I tried to called the "so-called" 24 hour customer service line and never got through. I don't know what's going on over there at Akai...

PS. Good customer service is a thing of the past, I thought ya'll knew (lol)

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just called the nearest music store and they tried HARD to get me to come by and check out a Roland sampler. (he didn't get I just want the MPD (usb-midi) Kinda talked bad about Akai not having a good distribution blah blah in the USA. Everything Akai, they have to order?!?!?!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Weird... Thats been my experience with Sam Ash across the board tho...
I have had to strong arm them to take my money for what I wanted a couple of times..
You should never have to look the cocky manager in the eye and say"So your telling me that you will not take my money?"
When I go into a store its either they ignore you , or if they try to sell you somthing they are just unloading it and not looking out for your best interest..OOooor in Sam Ass case they have no idea what they are talking about combined with the above.
We had a plug for a korg triton on back order for like 2 months , I sent one of the guys down there and told him to just get the demo plug(it was for the rack no one was checkin it) and when they gave him lip I had to do the old "I send an emplyee down there to get somthin off the floor and he tells me the thing is collecting dust.. Gimme the cord and when the back order one comes in you can keep that shit.."
Turntable casket- 3 months and still nothing.. canceled the order...
Soundsystem - was gonna cop it and the guy was mad helpful but I didnt have any room for it or a way to get it home anyway :(
so yeah thats BS Fade I feel you..
Let us know of your further adventures..

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
I hate unprofessionalism. If you treat customers like that they will not come back. But when things like that happen to me I think "have I ever treated one of my clients that way?" I want to make sure that anyone I do a video/beat/production for is happy!

Yeah but i guess they can't keep the profit they made on the mpc you bought emselfs, but a shitty salary.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Damn I hope I'm not looking at a 2 month wait, that's insane! I used to do all my purchases online with U.S. shops but nowadays with the exchange rate and the cost duty, it's ridiculous. The price for the MPD here is around the same as I've seen at some U.S. spots, so I'd end up paying way more if I ordered online. Really sucks though, hopefully the shit arrives asap.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
The difference about store 3 and between 1 & 2, store 3 is trying to stay in business and the shop is how he makes his living. Store 1 & 2 i assume are large chain stores, the people who work there are only interested in a check, not customer service.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
You will learn soon, that AKAI is mostly just gay and unprofessional. . .

Someones always fucking up some paperwork, something goes wrong with some mass distribution, etc.

Deadbeat

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
You will learn soon, that AKAI is mostly just gay and unprofessional. . .

Someones always fucking up some paperwork, something goes wrong with some mass distribution, etc.

Speaking of AKAI acting gay, this thread seems a fitting place to remind folks that if you're making music on WinXP the MPD16 is not necessarily your friend. If you use a MIDI cable with it, you're fine. If, on the other hand, you use the USB cable it will constantly restart your computer for no reason.

Akai acknowledged this problem, and has done NOTHING to solve it. So just a heads up, save your cash and get a 24 if you have to get some AKAI pads for your PC. Not to mention the pads are probably the hardest on the market, so you won't really enjoy playing around for hours on end like with some softer pads.

Just my two cents.

members online