Equipment Needed To Make Beats

phantonez

Hi. So I'm getting back into beat making and was wondering what would be some good equipment to get started? A lot has changed since I used to produce and it's kinda overwhelming.

I've got a pc already and am looking to use that. I read the guide in the link below which suggests a DAW, MIDI controller and decent speakers is a good start. I will mainly be making hip hop beats. Any advice on equipment needed to make beats is appreciated, thanks.

https://aeonreviews.com/beat-making-equipment-for-beginners/

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah pretty much that. Computer with some sort of DAW and a controller. There are plenty out there, it just depends on what you want to do. For example, you could get a mini-key controller with 25 keys or a 61 full-key controller if you want to play more stuff and have a wider range all at once.

Do you have a DAW?

phantonez

Yeah pretty much that. Computer with some sort of DAW and a controller. There are plenty out there, it just depends on what you want to do. For example, you could get a mini-key controller with 25 keys or a 61 full-key controller if you want to play more stuff and have a wider range all at once.

Do you have a DAW?

Thanks for replying, I'd probably go with a smaller controller to start with. I haven't got a DAW yet, will either get a free one or a trial of one of the bigger ones.

*D*

Beatmaker
Check out Reaper for a DAW. It's free for 30 days and you can use all the tools that comes with the paid version.

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 151
When you want to actually produce a beat you need a computer/laptop and ofcourse a DAW audio interface is important but not straight away. And as for the DAW i would say check those out don't forget trials most likely won't be enough time as i know every DAW has its own way of handeling which can take time to understand but its a good way of checking the DAW out. I think FL studio is great and easy to understand + low in price with its lifetime free updates. And ofcourse a midi keyboard is important i would say buy something not too expensive there are some good small midi keyboards that come with who knows a plug in or even trial for a DAW just search the web!