EPS vs MPC 60 and Asr x vs asr 10 question.

ski_mask

ill o.g.
hey i got a question for you guys......All this talk about the mpc 60 sampling and how "FAT "it makes samples...but what about the eps?!! I dont know which one do you think sounds better?? I think they both sound the same and you can get a eps for way cheaper than a 60 or a s950. Also people say the asr 10 has a gritty sound......is there REALLY a sound difference between the X and the 10???? Let me know guys.....

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
the "fat" sound pretty much comes form the sample rate. most modern sampler sample at 44.1 or 48 khz. but the older samplers can change their sample rate. i think the sp1200 runs around 20 khz or something. the asr 10 and x can change to multiple rates.

C

CooGi_dice

the samplers on the asr-10 and asr-x are verry diffrent... similar but a diffrent sound, i know the asr-x has this feature where u can do some dope stuff with samples and effects.... havent used one in a while so i forgot what the feature is called.

the effects on the asr-10 are great for editing samples though, and the sampler gives the samples a grimy sound.

H

Haterade

Here's the scoop-

Yes, it's all about the sample and bitrate of a machine that makes it "fat" or not- I own a MPC 60, have owned both EPS and EPS classic, and have had a lot of friends with the Asr 10 and X. Let me give you my observations:

As far as warmth from the drums, the MPC beats them all hands down- 12 bit @ 40khz ain't the holy grail of gritty, but it has a lot more punch than all the Ensoniq stuff.

Please stay away from the EPS series- save your money and get the ASR 10. The X has built in sounds, but the DA converters make everything sound "plastic" (for lack of better word) and I couldn't make a damn thing sound raw coming off it. The EPS has a serious flaw in the design, There's simply not enough headroom built into the playback engine to make your sounds warm- and also, to even fake it, you have to copy the waveform to layers, but everytime you do, you rob precious polyphony- and those boards maybe have 16-20 voices. (Meaning sustaining sounds will get cut off, especially when layered against a fast bass synth sound.) The synth capabilities on both boards are feable at best, and then you still have to find these archaic memory expansion cards AND the super-illusive output expander to even make the EPS series worth looking at.

If you really want grimey, do a little thinking- you're not going to get a lofi sound by using your 24bit converters on your soundcard reading a CD player... Maybe you can dirty up your sound BEFORE it hits your clean sampler...

members online