Reviews Eon MC Etc - A Reckonin'

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
areckonin.jpg

Born and raised in Lawton, Oklahoma but residing in Los Angeles, California, Eon has been rhyming since before he could write. He's eclectic with skills in singing, songwriting and producing which he has honed in his native Oklahoma as well as NYC, Kansas City, and Iowa. Basically, he has been doing this all his life and he gets props wherever he goes.

This is an album with both highs and lows on it, I believe the highs outweigh the lows significantly though. Lyrically Eon is the man! This is exactly the type of hip hop that appeals to me, it's educated and radical and real without being racist. My only problem with the performance on this recording is the singing of the male vocalist, no intended disrespect as it may appeal to some and the written lyrics that are being sung for the most part are good, I just wasn't feeling it. Fortunately for me, those tracks are infrequent and something that grows on you. The rest of this album is stellar. As I first heard it I thought, "wow this guy is really into Andre 3000", maybe too much I thought. Then I burned the LP, threw it in the car and used it as my ride-around soundtrack. Eon definitely has his own style and my respect as an MC, not a rapper, but an MC.

After a short intro, the song Chip on my Shoulder kicks off where Eon tells you why he has to murder hip hop, because she doesn't deserve to live, she got rich by poisoning the kids. =) the concept for this is awesome and lyrically it's exceptional. Musically it's a great bounce track as well and it pretty much sums up the album.

True or Die I think was the song that while on the background I was thinking Andre influence, but again as this whole LP once you listen to what's being said, this MC is gonna go far.

Bring The Heat was the next song that grabbed me and gives us a little more insight on the MC and is a nice example of the heat being brought on the mic.

This Ain't Livin is a good and powerful song that hits home with the listener because this is regular guy music, and touches on things that many of us know and speak on but Eon makes it so much clearer when he puts the daily struggle into his words.

Angry Black Man I think is the stand out track on this album, but not for the reasons you think, as Eon says. This is a spoken word track with no music and it doesn't need any, this hit home for the few people I let peep this. I applaud this one.

Ungodly Things is a nice story type track that again is grounded in reality, and although again the male singing on the hook takes away from it for me, others may not feel that way. It's a good song.

Under Pressure is nice because as an artist can relate to this one in the struggle to keep doing music and the life that requires bills to get paid.

A Reckonin is a tight song about religion and corruption and society and the fact that one day there will be a day of reckoning.

All in all this is a good album and exactly the type of thing that I will play over and over, and I feel the MC on this one 100% and am VERY impressed with his ability to flip the script and can't disagree with anything said on the record. We need more like this one but I will say that it has echo's of "The Love Below" which isn't a bad thing but I just couldn't feel the male vocalist on this one. I say cop this though and you will be more influenced and thankful that you did than disappointed.

READ THE REVIEWS ON AMAZON

Score: 4 / 5