Interviews Dr Khil

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Picture-10_Copy.jpg

Dr Khil, thanks for the time sir. IllMuzik salutes you! Ok what's up with your name and how long have you been producing, what made you start?

HAHAHA! Yeah, about that I was drinking with some friends one night, and we were talking about Dr. Phil. I slipped and said Dr. Kill, my friends liked it, so we changed the spelling and it just stuck. I started making beats in 1998 with a free program called Impulse Tracker, I used to sit for hours and make beat after beat. I had always wanted to make beats, I used to listen to Black Moon and Gang Starr and wondered who created those beats. So I started doing research and learned about what the producers did and the equipment they used. Then I decided to go to Full Sail in Orlando, Florida to learn how to mix my own tracks.

By the way, my boy Evil Dee is the genius behind Black Moon! I already know why I'm going to be paying attention to you, but tell the readers exactly who you are and why you're next to blow.

I am the next DJ Premier! I am kidding, I could never be that good. I am a grimey boom-bap producer that likes dirty drums and record dust. I love a challenge and can turn just about anything into a beat. I think beats have gotten too polished and pretty and they need to get gritty and ugly again, and that is what I bring to the table

Talk about this project of yours, Rememory Of My Beloved. You sent me a few incredible tracks and not for nothing, it kinda reminds me of RZA's style. I like to think of him as "the story teller of beats", the way he turns a sound into a complete story, you wouldn't need any lyrics. Does that make sense?

First of all, thank you for the comparison, RZA is one of my favorite producers. Yes, I do consider myself a "story teller of beats", I always try to at least present an idea or like the track, "So Alone" I try to tell a story.

Ahh, you do understand! So tell me this, if you were to work with one artist dead or alive, any genre who would it be?

Damn! This is a hard question. I guess I would say either Johnny Cash, Nick Drake, or Ghostface Killah. Or maybe Radiohead or MF DOOM ahhh! I can't decide!

I love asking the impossible "give me your favorite and you can only pick one questions"! LOL! Anyway, do you play any instruments? In your opinion, is it important for a producer/beat maker to know how to play?

I kind of play the drums, I am not very good. Other than that I don't play anything. I don't think playing an instrument is as important as knowing song structure and chord progression. Also, learn how to count out bars, very important and helpful.

Do you have certain artists in mind when you create beats or do you mass produce and stock pile?

Sometimes I do have an artist in mind, most times I don't though. What happens a lot of the time is I will finish mixing and arranging a beat and I will think, "this would be perfect for."

Tell me in your opinion what is the difference in a beat maker and a producer?

A beat maker just makes the beat and sends it on its way. A producer is there to see the project or track through to the end. It is their job to make sure the artist is doing the best they can do and staying true to the feeling of the project or track. Also, it is a producer's job to keep the artist HYPED! Yelling at rappers is fun too.

Talk a little about your circle, the people you roll with are quite fly, this "Glass Ceiling Effect"

Glass Ceiling Effect is a family above all else, we look out for each other. We are all very different when it comes to styles but, we all mesh together quite well. The important thing is we all respect each other as artists and we are all fans of each others music. Honestly, all of the people in The Glass Ceiling Effect are my favorite rappers and producers, and I am honored to be on the same team with them.

If there was one thing you wish you knew about the music business now that you didn't when you started, what would it be?

I wish I knew that it was a cutthroat business, and even though you think someone is helping you, they might be just using you as a stepping stone to the next opportunity.

Well, I damn sure used you. Now I know you have a thing for Johnny Cash, thanks! LOL!! *sigh* This is the part of the interview I hate the most, parting in such sweet sorrow. Is there anything else you'd like to mention?

I would like to say THANK YOU to GM, Nick Nice, and the whole Glass Ceiling Effect, and also to my wife and Rick Whispers! And a HUGE THANK YOU to you, Pink Cookiz for this interview! PEACE!

members online