Downloading illegal shit - Thoughts?

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
So now that there's more and more organizations dedicated to sniffing out IP addresses and storing them for future consideration, I'm curious as to what you guys think? Are you worried that this shit will catch up with you one day?

Read this article last year:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/11/28/file-sharing-lawsuit-canada-canipre_n_2203809.html

Interesting and somewhat concerning, I am more careful about what I download these days, that's for sure.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Its kinda bullshit in some ways. First off, I think ALL creators deserve to get paid for their work including film makes, software creators. I mean producers complain about cheap ass emcees that want free beats, but the same producer pirates all their software. LAME. Honestly, my feeling is download your illegal shit, learn it, figure out what tool you want to use. Start making money with it, then GO LEGIT and buy it!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm with DP. But it's also such a wide debate. For example, if I bought an album on vinyl then later on I decide to go all digital and I throw out my vinyl - is it okay for me to download an illegal copy of that album in MP3 format? Or should I be forced to buy it again on CD or a legal MP3?

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
I got a funny story about downloading stuff...
So I get a letter from my internet provider in a priority mail envelope that I have to pick up at the mail office, which put up a flag for me to start with. I open it up and it says supposedly I illegally downloaded something and was being sued. The file I had allegedly downloaded was "Ass Titans 42" or something like that, which I obviously knew i didn't dload lmfao, but I was tripping out so I looked further into it...found out there's these law firms that are called "copyright trolls" or "patent trolls" and they embed shit in torrent files that they claim to hold the copyright to, make it some obscene name that you don't want your family or anyone to see and actually bring it to court but the intent isn't to really sue you. Basically they call you and harrass you (get info from your isp by saying you dloaded something illegally) and try to get you to settle before it goes to court to save your "humiliation" of the whole thing...Anyways I emailed all the websites about these "patent trolls" to the judge, and explained what was up, and the whole thing got dropped but they had like 4010 people involved in the case (whoever had downloaded the same torrent as me, i think it was drum kits or somethin...) and never heard about it again...imagine the poor suckers that paid to settle lmao.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's fucked up! I'm not surprised though. I think even for the legit ones, people would rather settle than go to court. But from what I've seen, it's mainly MP3's and movies they're going after.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
That is fucked up, I do remember reading something about that in the past... doesn't surprise me, so much shady shit on the internet these days. Happy you got it sorted out though!

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
If you cant afford the software, have a friend hook you up. A few of my friends get software either at a discounted rate or for free or i'll buy it for cheap from them or on craigslist. I'm done with the online sites. who hasnt pirated at some point right??....After going thru computer security and network security classes you find out sooo much B.S. that can catch up to you in the long run. Far as music goes I only DL from the mixtape sites or if your in a record pool you already know the deal.

Frankie Perez

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 3
I been thinkin bout the same thing and what i like to do is use torrents and also browse the internet to look for old songs online and movies as well - as long as you know how to hide or change your ip address your good - some torrents have trackers - some sights dont allow download accelerators and some places will just kick your ipaddress. i strongly feel that there is no way there going to just stop people from downloading content but its places like youtube veoh letmewatchthis etc that create a fun online experience shit i download like atleast 10 movies a month and 20 mp3's a month. Internet provides free media but thats not our fault why would they post something that they know you can get for free? they should only put a preview but instead they upload original content. i know its advertising and they feel that the artist is not supported bcs there music or movie wasnt purchased but they dont care they got contracts they get paid regardless. so i see it like this if i can hear it or see it online then im gonna download it...lol