Down South Hi hats

P

PG13

Im wondering can someone plz tell me how to program these bad boys in Cubase sx im alittle confused on how to get them sound correct.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm not familiar with those kind of hats, but I guess you want to just double them up? I don't have any experience with Cubase either. :(

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Could you give us an example of 'down south hi hats'? Like the name of a track with some in it? Some of could listen to them and try to figure out how they're made.

Take care,

Nick

P

PG13

Gangsta Bitch/All I Wanna (Luni Coleon)

Timberland Has these aswell in his songs

Cash Money

Ludacris does aswell

there just the Fast attacking hats not really Temp fast its mor like a effect GREAT example...get two wrtiing pens hold then and bang the tips of them on th table one after another fast... those are the hi hats im talking about

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
If you dont want to play them yourself you can go in and draw them in the drum editor. Set the midi channel to Drum Map GM and double click on the part. Then choose the tool that looks like a drum stick, and set the snap value to something like 1/32 so you can be accurate. Then just draw the hats where ever you want them. The easiest way is probably to record a regular hh pattern then go in and add the parts you want to double with the drum tool. Good luck.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

You may need to edit the samples themselves do that they have a very short decay. You didn't mention what you were using for a sound source; if you have a synth, you can shorten the envelopes of the hats to make them sound 'ticky'...if you have a sampler, you can do that as well or edit the samples in a wave editor and remove the decay so that only the transient/attack is left.

You may also want to pitch them up a little to make them sound brighter.

Take care,

Nick

P

PG13

Yea Some Guy I've tried that does come out the same way at all they just sound Up tempo when i do that .. thats it... And Vit> Yes i've Eveloped to get the Sharp/non decay sound and it still all sounds the same i must not be doing something right.. Im using Battery

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Oh my bad, I thought you were taking about the lay out of the HH. If you're looking for that certain sound like triple 6 mafia you just need to find a good tr-808 drum kit. The 808 hi hats are what most southern producers use.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

YES!!!! The 808 has the 'tickiest' sounds out there. And that cowbell used in 'I like big butts' by Sir Mix a Lot.

Take care,

Nick

P

PG13

Damn can someone show me an example of how this is done with Cubase sx and send me the .cpr file?

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Which part are you having problems with? Finding the HH sound, or laying the drum pattern? Which drum machine are you using with Cubase?

P

PG13

I having Trouble laying down the pattern...Drum machine...Im using Redrum(reason) but for the hi hat im using Cubase sx Battery and just snaggin the sample from a pack....Im not to interested in laying the Hats down in Reason I rather learn how to step edit it in cubase sx. If you could help that would be great

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Wassup man, sorry for the delay. If i were you i'd use reason for your hh. Redrum is probably the best and easiest software drum machine there is. If you're working at 1/16 resolution in Reason just draw the high hats on every cell in Redrum. Make sure your BPM's are like 85-92 or something. Not too fast or it'll sound ridiculus. Then after you programed Redrum use the flam feature of Redrum to double your hh's. Make sure the flam dial is turned all the way up. Now just click on the little red lights above each square to activate the flam. That way it'll put a hh in between the two squares. I'm not very good at explaining things so I hope that helps. I'm sure the Reason help files will explain it better. But theres no faster easier way to do step editing drums than Re-Drum so I recommend using that.

In Cubase its just a matter of setting the channel to GM-Drum map, then double clicking on the part to open up the drum editor. Then just draw them in with the drumstick tool. Aight good luck in your search dawg.