Dont Sleep on Some Advice SomeOne Post awhile Back

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Please folks: Back up ur music

i saw the poll on the main page and i was very suprised to see that most people dont back up there music. Franlkly i think this is DUMB AS FUCK

If u had $2000 cash you wouldent just leave it laying around at the risk someone would take it right???? NO

U would take that shit and put it in the bank. SO why the hell dont u treat ur music like that
How can u put so much work and effort into something and leave to chance......

backing up only takes a couple of minutes to do and it will give you piece of mind.

Trust me on this, Im a systems analyist and a DBA, i see it all the time, your harddrive will fail!!! Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when, harddrives are magnetic which means that they are unstable.

Portable hardrives dont count as safe back up either(their failure rate is even worse), get your stuff on a stable storage device like a CD or DVD.

dont say i dident tell you so.

class....

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
CDs can degrade over time tho and DVDs so they arent too safe either, but still better a harddrive like u said.

classic

ill o.g.
x-squizet said:
yo if you don't have a cd burner on da computer what else can i use to back up work i would a usb thumb drive be safe

WEll again all those thumb drives are r hardrives, i mean thats better then nothing at all but realise they are still prone to crash. Plust how much space do those thumb drives have??? i dont think they have that much space(but i dont know)

Again get an exteranl CD burner and hook it up to your computer to burn your stuff.

class...

E

Equality 7-2521

word backup is motherfucking important.

my SAE teacher advises to use both external harddrive AND dvd backup for your shit. as BOTH can fail so its best to have another medium incase one fucks up.

back your shit up fool.

classic

ill o.g.
Equality 7-2521 said:
word backup is motherfucking important.
my SAE teacher advises to use both external harddrive AND dvd backup for your shit. as BOTH can fail so its best to have another medium incase one fucks up.
back your shit up fool.

Yep u took the words out of my moth , not to get techinall but i acutally have a RAID 5 set up on my server(which is multpile internal harddrives that back each other up, most servers use it)

ANyway i have my regular harddrive, my server RAID harddrive and i do bi-monthly DVD back ups. I usually mail a copy of the backed up DVD's to my moms house everymonth incase anything were to happen to my house(theft, fire, etc...)

I edit video also so i have years of footage at stake, this stuff is irreplaceable so i take it very seriously.

class..

FYI also u should use a seperate harddrive for you music never store ur music on the same harddrive as your operating system.

classic

ill o.g.
Bosta said:
Never heard of that.....whats the risk?

Well for example i have 2 harddrives in my main computer the regular C: drive where windows and all my programs are installed. THen i have another drive ( i call it my F: drive) where i store all my music and video files.

Its good to keep them seprate becasue if you computer crashes you will lose eveything on the C drive becasue thats where all the operating system files are. BUt since your F: drive is just storing data it will be fine. SO u can reinstall ur OS on your C: drive and the files will still be safe on your F: drive.

U should always keep your OS and program files seprate from your data files, thats one of the first rules of computer science.

class........

classic

ill o.g.
PrOLifiK said:
if your computer doesnt suck and you know what your doing it should never crash

Umm sorry man , thats very wrong, there are so many things that can go wrong, registery clogging, OS problems, OS corruption etc..

These all happen un expectedly to the best maintained computers. People like us who use loads of software are ESPICALLY prone to crashes becasue all the registry updates and clogging from the installs.

Sorry man but ur totally wrong on that,

computers will always crash. Thats the second rule of computer science

class....

C

Carpe Diem

i never used to backup, lost all my beats, not once, but 3 times....grrr...

classic

ill o.g.
Equality 7-2521 said:
classic what about partitioned drives?

Thats a good question
Partitions dont count, partinoited drives are just logical seperations , not physical

So while you may have your one harddrive partitoned into C: and F: drives, if that drive fails you will still lose everything becasue its still "one" single drive where the corrupt OS files are.

For example, on my latop i have my drive partitioned, i acutally have a dual boot system, I have linux on one partition and windows on another(i use grub to dual boot) but since windows automaticly makes its self the 'master' on any drive or partition u install to, if the windows files become corrupt then u i will most likey lose ALL the information on that drive(linux and windows stuff)

class.......

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Another reason why you should never use you OS drive to record you music is seek time. You are slowly killing your hard drive because it's working twice as hard to "seek" all of the info you're asking to seek. Image this, you're running your OS, host program, plug ins and upwords of 20 tracks of 16/24 bit, 44.1/96khz audio all from the same drive. That's a lot to ask from one hardrive. And unless you spec'd you hardrive about to give you proper requirements for digital audio/video, you probably using some generic drive that the manufacturer just threw in to do word processing. And should we even talk about defraging the drive? That's a whole other story, yet very inportant to the life of you hard drive. As mentioned before, your hard drive WILL DIE. If you can afford to run a redundant system (RAID or auto-backup) you won't regret it. I've been down that road before and it ain't fun. Also, when you backup, make sure you test your backups. It's even worst to think you're safe and find out that your backups are just coasters. Good system maintenance is very important. Most of the big dudes have somebody doing it for them, but it is getting done.

X

FYI - even the most non-crappy systems crash.

classic

ill o.g.
yea u can go firwire or USB, but still like i said before these are still unstable becasue they are still harddrives, they are perfect for keeping you data seprate from your OS(like i said in an eariler post)

But u still want to back up you stuff to a stable medium like a DVD or CD, casue portable external harddrives have a worse failure rate then internal ones.

class...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
again... That's on point Class... good thread

I said i wanted to do it, and I never did... I think I'm gonna do it this week... gotta buy a load of CDs... for my beats AND all the samples I found through the years...

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dahkter said:
One question, on a PC, is there a cheap external hard drive you can use to keep your audio files on?

If you're just storing them the "cheap" drives may be OK, but for recording and mixing, you may not want to use the "cheap" drives.

Go for specs. Look for spin speed of no less than 7200rpm, Hi transfer rates no less than 29mb/s, no less than a 2mb buffer, and access time of no less than 8ms. Also consider one that has an internal cooling fan and a sheilded case. This will prevent over heating.

X

classic

ill o.g.
Producer X said:
If you're just storing them the "cheap" drives may be OK, but for recording and mixing, you may not want to use the "cheap" drives.

Go for specs. Look for spin speed of no less than 7200rpm, Hi transfer rates no less than 29mb/s, no less than a 2mb buffer, and access time of no less than 8ms. Also consider one that has an internal cooling fan and a sheilded case. This will prevent over heating.

X

Good point X, i was thinking he was just gonna use it to throw back up data on evey week or so, but if u plan of actively reading and writing stuff off your external drive as if it were an internal drive then take X's advice and go high end

clas...

members online