Diary of a Mad Record Lablist!

• warzone (oct 8-12) signup begins in...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
If I wanted to be get rich in the music business, I would put my money in the most lucrative part...the record label. Now that I own a major record label, I'm gonna find out how I can make profits on my money as quick and as effective as possible. So I do my research and find that negative topics like racism, controversy, and violence are not only the top picks, but people are actually force fed this stuff on a daily basis through TV and radio.

Now I must find a good way of distributing those topics, without taking any responsibility for its adverse effects on families, cultures, and lifestyles. What better way than through music? Wasn't Satan the angel in charge of music when he was in heaven? Nevermind that, thats another topic. Anyway, I will hire people and call their group A&R, whose sole responsibility is to be the link between staying oppressed in the hood or being handed keys to a brand new Bentley. All they need to do for me in return is deliver my message so I can get my money back.

Im sure that by now, most of you have figured out where this is going so I will stop there. The important question is, "Do you know that I have created a never ending loop of reaching your children and when they grow up I will reach their children and so on and on?" Do you also realize that in my position, I can dictate what your kids do? I can tell them what clothes to get and how to wear them, I can even make it cool to wear them half way down their arse. I can tell them what sneakers are hot, what the best drug on the street is and so on?

In some ways I have more power over your children than you do. Do you trust me with that power? Ofcorse not! You have to educate your kids. You have to break this never ending loop that I have placed on your child's life. Teach them to be conscious of any message good or bad, the rest will take care of itself.

There are a lot more things involved here but you get the message. Nothings wrong with hip hop or any other genre, its certain aspects that tarnish the entire culture. IMO, hip hop hasn't represented the streets since it went mainstream. Mainstream flipped it on us...now the streets reflect what hip hop is doing and thats sad when it's controlled by cats that care absolutely nothing about you as a person other than having their hands in your pockets.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I think it is a chicken or the egg problem really.

You know if positive hip-hop sold than thats all labels would do. unfortunately this thuged out "bithes and hoes" stuff does better in the market. I am more and more convinced that there is no grand conspiracy with the media other than to make more money. So its the consumers fault because gangster rap sells better, or even emo or country or whatever. Shame on the labels for not having more integrity for sure. But its hard to blame a business for making products that they know will sell. I have several very talented emcee friends that have talked to EMI etc about getting signed and they say "go gansta and you have a deal" now my friend has never been a gangster or even a thug or sold drugs or anything so he just could not do that. But you dont have a business to not make sales you know?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Okay then the problem now is they took our cuture and keep pushing the worst parts that everybody loves to hear about but isnt so fun to live out and what?

I think Dac is right on, however of course in the name of capatilism all falls all is destroyed.
I think I get most pissed that they push stereotypes to people who become them and it just keeps going and going, this is not what Chuck D had in mind when the revolution started...

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Okay then the problem now is they took our cuture and keep pushing the worst parts that everybody loves to hear about but isnt so fun to live out and what?

Exactly it all starts and ends with the culture, the people. How do you have fun w/out involving drugs sex and money AND making it seem more fun than the latter?

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
UNORTHODOX, thats a way better way of putting what I was trying to say. I 100% agree.

It is the culture, you hear of these rappers making it and getting out of the hood and providing better lives for there families and the culture says they are sell outs, how sad.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
How do you have fun w/out involving drugs sex and money AND making it seem more fun than the latter?

It starts with EDUCATION! First thing is to educate yourselves. Learn what Drugs, Sex and Drug Money do to a community on a personal level. Some of the things I've seen as a mentor in the Big Brother / Big Sister Program would make you guys cry like babies, for REAL.

DRUGS
We must educate our youths, we must teach them that there are ways to have fun without drugs. Ever seen a crack baby in real life? If so, can you imagine whats its like to raise a baby in that condition? NOT FUN!

SEX
To date, over 225,000 African Americans have died of AIDS - nearly 40% of total deaths - and of the more than 1 million people living with HIV in the United States of America today, around half are black. And yet, as a racial group, African Americans represent just 13% of the US population. In Washington D.C, which has the nation’s highest district HIV prevalence (3%), 76 % of those infected are African American. Ever seen someone die of AIDS? NOT FUN!

MONEY
Getting Money as in selling drugs...Drugs are related to crime in multiple ways. Most directly, it is a crime to use, possess, manufacture, or distribute drugs classified as having a potential for abuse (such as cocaine, heroin, marijuana, and amphetamines). Drugs are also related to crime through the effects they have on the user's behavior and by generating violence and other illegal activity in connection with drug trafficking. Ever seen an innocent kid get shot over a bad drug deal? Ever seen someone overdose? NOT FUN!

How much FUN would it be to NOT have this? It's only FUN to rap about these things because someone is telling you its fun and you're believing it.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
True, but how do you educate a nation of grown kids? After 15 you cant tell'em much these days...

It starts with EDUCATION! First thing is to educate yourselves. Learn what Drugs, Sex and Drug Money do to a community on a personal level. Some of the things I've seen as a mentor in the Big Brother / Big Sister Program would make you guys cry like babies, for REAL.

How much FUN would it be to NOT have this? It's only FUN to rap about these things because someone is telling you its fun and you're believing it.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
dacalion I feel you, my dad is a counselor for a youth treatment center. Basically they are to young to go to prison so they go there. So I grew up in that world. I have seen lots of those things. Thats why sometimes I hate the culture, there is nothing glamorous about the "thug" life. And being and real gangster is not cool.

Hey dacalion we agree on something!!!!!!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Im sure he has some mind boggling stories as well. Some of the things I've learned has been life changing for me. I feel like I have the edge and I want to share it with everybody. There is a known way, an answer, a solution for most of our problems yet we will never see them solved just because we choose not to act. "Speech" from Arrested Developement once asked...."Are we living life or is life living us?" For the most part...life is living us.

Yeah, we only agree on the most important things...lol